undo

Kyle Johnson
When I am using TextMate to edit a LaTeX file, I find that command+Z (i.e., undo) no longer works. Rather than undoing something, it moves the cursor to about the middle of the document I am working on.

Anyone else having this behavior?

I’m using TexMate 2.0-rc.7 on 10.12.5.

Kyle

Re: undo

Jacob Carlborg
You can try the following to see if there’s a bundle command that is using ⌘Z as the keyboard shortcut:

1. Press  ⌘^T to show the bundle item selector
2. Select "Key Equivalent” in the dropdown menu with a gear icon or press ⌘2
3. Press ⌘Z

Now it should show the command or action that is invoked when you press ⌘Z.

--
/Jacob Carlborg

On 26 May 2017, at 09:04, Kyle Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

When I am using TextMate to edit a LaTeX file, I find that command+Z (i.e., undo) no longer works. Rather than undoing something, it moves the cursor to about the middle of the document I am working on.

Anyone else having this behavior?

I’m using TexMate 2.0-rc.7 on 10.12.5.

Re: undo

Kyle Johnson
Thanks Jacob,

The only command assigned to command+Z is undo. And when I invoke undo from the menu, I also get the behavior I described: the cursor jumps to a position higher in the document. I now see that it *also* does perform undo — that is, it undoes the last parsed keystroke(s). (I didn’t notice this earlier because undo was removing blank spaces in the files I was looking at.) So what undo does in my LaTeX file is: undo+move the cursor to a different part of the document. I haven’t figured out if there is some pattern to its movement of the cursor.

If no one else is seeing this in their LaTeX files, then there must be something munged in my set-up.

Kyle

On May 26, 2017, at 11:42 AM, Jacob Carlborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

You can try the following to see if there’s a bundle command that is using ⌘Z as the keyboard shortcut:

1. Press  ⌘^T to show the bundle item selector
2. Select "Key Equivalent” in the dropdown menu with a gear icon or press ⌘2
3. Press ⌘Z

Now it should show the command or action that is invoked when you press ⌘Z.

--
/Jacob Carlborg

On 26 May 2017, at 09:04, Kyle Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

When I am using TextMate to edit a LaTeX file, I find that command+Z (i.e., undo) no longer works. Rather than undoing something, it moves the cursor to about the middle of the document I am working on.

Anyone else having this behavior?

I’m using TexMate 2.0-rc.7 on 10.12.5.

Re: undo

Allan Odgaard-4
On 28 May 2017, at 11:05, Kyle Johnson wrote:

> […] it undoes the last parsed keystroke(s). (I didn’t notice this
> earlier because undo was removing blank spaces in the files I was
> looking at.) So what undo does in my LaTeX file is: undo+move the
> cursor to a different part of the document. I haven’t figured out if
> there is some pattern to its movement of the cursor.

Normally undo would move the caret to the previous place you edited.

Can you reproduce this 100%? Or does it only happyen occasioanlly?

If it is only occasionally, can it be that your document has been
modified externally? If something else chnages the document (on disk),
TextMate may silently reload the changes, but it may confuse the undo
history (since it just imported a batch set of changes).

Re: undo

Kyle Johnson
Thanks Allan,

Yes, preliminary testing suggests that your diagnosis might be the reason. When I edit a file that is only on my disk, I don’t see the behavior. The files that I’ve seen it in are in dropbox folders. I’m the only person editing those files, however, so there aren’t going to be external changes that are independent of the file I’m working on. Will dropbox files that only I am using have the ability to confuse undo?

Kyle

> On May 28, 2017, at 11:12 AM, Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 28 May 2017, at 11:05, Kyle Johnson wrote:
>
>> […] it undoes the last parsed keystroke(s). (I didn’t notice this earlier because undo was removing blank spaces in the files I was looking at.) So what undo does in my LaTeX file is: undo+move the cursor to a different part of the document. I haven’t figured out if there is some pattern to its movement of the cursor.
>
> Normally undo would move the caret to the previous place you edited.
>
> Can you reproduce this 100%? Or does it only happyen occasioanlly?
>
> If it is only occasionally, can it be that your document has been modified externally? If something else chnages the document (on disk), TextMate may silently reload the changes, but it may confuse the undo history (since it just imported a batch set of changes).

Re: undo

Kyle Johnson
Correction:

The files that show this behavior are in *shared* dropbox folders. Files in unshared dropbox folders don’t seem to jump the cursor around with “undo.” The files in the shared folders that show this behavior are not being edited by anyone else while I am using them, but they are in shared folders.

Kyle

> On May 28, 2017, at 11:31 AM, Kyle Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Allan,
>
> Yes, preliminary testing suggests that your diagnosis might be the reason. When I edit a file that is only on my disk, I don’t see the behavior. The files that I’ve seen it in are in dropbox folders. I’m the only person editing those files, however, so there aren’t going to be external changes that are independent of the file I’m working on. Will dropbox files that only I am using have the ability to confuse undo?
>
> Kyle
>

>> On May 28, 2017, at 11:12 AM, Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 28 May 2017, at 11:05, Kyle Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> […] it undoes the last parsed keystroke(s). (I didn’t notice this earlier because undo was removing blank spaces in the files I was looking at.) So what undo does in my LaTeX file is: undo+move the cursor to a different part of the document. I haven’t figured out if there is some pattern to its movement of the cursor.
>>
>> Normally undo would move the caret to the previous place you edited.
>>
>> Can you reproduce this 100%? Or does it only happyen occasioanlly?
>>
>> If it is only occasionally, can it be that your document has been modified externally? If something else chnages the document (on disk), TextMate may silently reload the changes, but it may confuse the undo history (since it just imported a batch set of changes).

Re: undo

Kyle Johnson
Is there a workaround or remedy for this problem that you recommend?