`mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

123

`mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Daniel Vollmer
Hello list,

when opening (existing) files from Terminal.app using the `mate` command, it occasionally (but not always) takes a fairly long time (more than 5secs) to open the file in TextMate. TM in all these instances is already running, but doesn't necessarily have any open windows.

This is for small files (e.g. 30 short lines of code), so it cannot be the file size making a difference. If I open the files directly through TM's File -> Open... menu, no such delay happens.

During such a delay, if I click on the already running TM in the dock to activate it, the desired document that `mate` is trying to open immediately appears.

If I close the document and retry immediately afterwards, then no delay seems to exist for a while. Swap also doesn't seem to be an issue, my swapfile has size 0 on a 32GB Macbook Pro, with 16GB free. If TM hasn't been activated in a while (even though supposedly running according to the Dock dot) then this seems more likely.

It seems to be the communication / connecting between mate and TM that causes this delay somehow. I've tried removing and reinstalling the `mate` command.

This is on TextMate version 2.0-rc.10, but is not new behavior, I've seen this for quite some time.

Does that sound familiar to anyone or have any diagnosis tips?

Thanks,
        Daniel.

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

sellmerfud

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 8:50 AM jason <[hidden email]> wrote:
This actually sounds exactly like the problem I was trying to address with this PR. I'm glad someone else is experiencing it!

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 9:03 AM, Daniel Vollmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello list,

when opening (existing) files from Terminal.app using the `mate` command, it occasionally (but not always) takes a fairly long time (more than 5secs) to open the file in TextMate. TM in all these instances is already running, but doesn't necessarily have any open windows.
<snip>

I have also encountered this.  But it is very rare.  I can recall less than 5 times total and I use mate from the command line a lot.  For the record I use iTerm rather than terminal, but I don't think that is relevant.

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Kevin Reid-3
On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 6:03 AM Daniel Vollmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
when opening (existing) files from Terminal.app using the `mate` command, it occasionally (but not always) takes a fairly long time (more than 5secs) to open the file in TextMate. TM in all these instances is already running, but doesn't necessarily have any open windows.

This is for small files (e.g. 30 short lines of code), so it cannot be the file size making a difference. If I open the files directly through TM's File -> Open... menu, no such delay happens.

During such a delay, if I click on the already running TM in the dock to activate it, the desired document that `mate` is trying to open immediately appears.

I also have this problem, consistently. It started about when I upgraded to High Sierra.

My TM always has already-open windows. I also found that in general, switching apps (even to apps other than TextMate) sometimes triggers it to finish.

Initially I thought it might be related to the problem with slow Finder updates in the presence of sync apps (see e.g. https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/264463/capturing-screenshots-on-macos-sierra-is-very-slow https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/300633/screenshot-taking-a-very-long-time-to-appear-on-desktop ) but I haven't gotten around to testing that theory.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 6:50 AM jason <[hidden email]> wrote:
This actually sounds exactly like the problem I was trying to address with this PR. I'm glad someone else is experiencing it!

For myself, I agree with the comments in that PR that a bring-to-front of all of TextMate would be undesirable.

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

People with this issue, can you let me know:

  1. What is the earliest version of macOS where you noticed the issue?
  2. Is TextMate hidden when the problem happens?
  3. Is it likely that the file does open in TextMate and the delay is related to unhiding TextMate (or bringing it to front)?
  4. What is an “iTerm2 drop-down window”? This one is just for Jason.

On 27 Jul 2018, at 15:03, Daniel Vollmer wrote:

[...]

Hi Allan,

I’ve observed the following (which is from memory, so may not be 100% accurate), I’ll try to take notes from now on.

> On 29. Jul 2018, at 09:34, Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> People with this issue, can you let me know:
>
> • What is the earliest version of macOS where you noticed the issue?

I’m confident of it happening back to macOS 10.12 at least, not sure about earlier.

> • Is TextMate hidden when the problem happens?

I think yes, so either no open windows or all of them hidden. Not completely sure about this though. TM is indicated as running by the Dock (via the dot), but usually doesn’t have any open windows (at least on the current desktop).

> • Is it likely that the file does open in TextMate and the delay is related to unhiding TextMate (or bringing it to front)?

It seems to. But at least for me both the window appearing and bringing it to the front both (which I can’t really separate) happens after the delay (or immediately after I manually re-activate TM via the Dock for example.

        Daniel.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:34 AM Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

People with this issue, can you let me know:

  1. What is the earliest version of macOS where you noticed the issue?
It started when I upgraded from 10.11 El Capitan to 10.13 High Sierra (I skipped a version).
  1. Is TextMate hidden when the problem happens?
No. However, it might be relevant that I use a multi-monitor multi-desktop configuration.
  1. Is it likely that the file does open in TextMate and the delay is related to unhiding TextMate (or bringing it to front)?
TextMate is not hidden and so I'm pretty sure that the window is visibly not present (i.e. I can see the desktop behind where it is going to appear). The new window does appear in front of other windows on its own, just not promptly.

I can't confirm right now because the problem is not happening (it's intermittent and I haven't identified a cause).

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Daniel Vollmer
Hello,

I'm also using a multi-monitor set-up.

One other non-standard thing I'm using is fish shell (with standard Terminal.app) instead of bash. Occasionally it feels like it isn't me "manually" activating TextMate that finally triggers the TM window to pop up, but instead activating any other app (or making anything but the terminal frontmost); but this is guess-work.

On 29 Jul 2018, at 16:57, Kevin Reid wrote:

I can't confirm right now because the problem is not happening (it's
intermittent and I haven't identified a cause).

Try run something like this from a terminal to see if it is reproducible:

for (( i = 1; i < 50; i++ )); do echo -n "Edit $i..."; mate -w "/tmp/test $i.txt"; echo "Done!"; done

I did this myself but only issue I saw was that sometimes TextMate wouldn’t activate, mostly addressed in these two commits: https://github.com/textmate/textmate/compare/cc9faa602...d93972f95 and should only hapen when `mate` is used in succession.

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 7:42 PM Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 29 Jul 2018, at 16:57, Kevin Reid wrote:

I can't confirm right now because the problem is not happening (it's
intermittent and I haven't identified a cause).

Try run something like this from a terminal to see if it is reproducible:

for (( i = 1; i < 50; i++ )); do echo -n "Edit $i..."; mate -w "/tmp/test $i.txt"; echo "Done!"; done

I did this myself but only issue I saw was that sometimes TextMate wouldn’t activate, mostly addressed in these two commits: https://github.com/textmate/textmate/compare/cc9faa602...d93972f95 and should only hapen when `mate` is used in succession.

No hang/slow when I ran your test. However, in my experience since the last discussion, the problem seems to come and go on a long time scale. Like there's something else about the system, like maybe the state of Spaces/fullscreen, that determines whether it happens; it isn't random each time.

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Dr Eberhard W Lisse
I habe been encountering something similar since before upgrading to Mojave and I think this is a Mac issue, because AlphaX does the exact same thing.

If I click on the icon in the dock it opens immediately and it hasn't botherd me before I read this :-)-O

el

Sent from Dr Lisse’s iPad mini 4
On 12 Nov 2018, 06:31 +0200, Kevin Reid <[hidden email]>, wrote:
[...]

I haven’t really managed to diagnose this further, but occasionally I get the feeling that this might be due to how `fish` shell triggers execution of binaries (but again, I’ve only observed this in conjunction with `mate` — but that’s probably my most-used command-line utility that connects to the WindowServer by a large margin).

        Daniel.

> On 12. Nov 2018, at 05:30, Kevin Reid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 7:42 PM Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2018, at 16:57, Kevin Reid wrote:
>
> I can't confirm right now because the problem is not happening (it's
> intermittent and I haven't identified a cause).
>
> Try run something like this from a terminal to see if it is reproducible:
>
> for (( i = 1; i < 50; i++ )); do echo -n "Edit $i..."; mate -w "/tmp/test $i.txt"; echo "Done!"; done
>
> I did this myself but only issue I saw was that sometimes TextMate wouldn’t activate, mostly addressed in these two commits: https://github.com/textmate/textmate/compare/cc9faa602...d93972f95 and should only hapen when `mate` is used in succession.
>
> No hang/slow when I ran your test. However, in my experience since the last discussion, the problem seems to come and go on a long time scale. Like there's something else about the system, like maybe the state of Spaces/fullscreen, that determines whether it happens; it isn't random each time.

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Jay Soffian-9
I know I'm bumping an old thread. This behavior happens to me all the time (a few times a day). I haven't been able to figure it out. I don't use fish shell, but rather bash. I do use a multi-monitor setup but I think I've seen it when only using my laptop alone. It probably dates back to High Sierra. My typical use case is "mate ." in a directory, not a specific file. That directory will have a ".tm_properties" file making it a project. I use iTerm2.

So TextMate is running, I switch to a directory in iTerm2, type "mate ." then the command just hangs for 5-10 seconds before TextMate finally comes to the front.

The laptop has an SSD. I think the problem is worse when I have a USB drive attached for Time Machine.

I haven't thought to try clicking TextMate in the dock or command-tab switching to it. I will try that next time this occurs.

I assume the folks who were suffering from this problem in this thread have continued to put up with it? I know how frustrating it is. :-(

j.

If you're willing to rebuild TM from source, I tried to play with how `mate` launches in this pull request https://github.com/textmate/textmate/pull/1405. Allan suggested this was not the right approach, but I wonder if it was close to exposing the problem.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:50 PM Jay Soffian <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know I'm bumping an old thread. This behavior happens to me all the time (a few times a day). I haven't been able to figure it out. I don't use fish shell, but rather bash. I do use a multi-monitor setup but I think I've seen it when only using my laptop alone. It probably dates back to High Sierra. My typical use case is "mate ." in a directory, not a specific file. That directory will have a ".tm_properties" file making it a project. I use iTerm2.

So TextMate is running, I switch to a directory in iTerm2, type "mate ." then the command just hangs for 5-10 seconds before TextMate finally comes to the front.

The laptop has an SSD. I think the problem is worse when I have a USB drive attached for Time Machine.

I haven't thought to try clicking TextMate in the dock or command-tab switching to it. I will try that next time this occurs.

I assume the folks who were suffering from this problem in this thread have continued to put up with it? I know how frustrating it is. :-(

j.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 3:53 AM Daniel Vollmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I haven’t really managed to diagnose this further, but occasionally I get the feeling that this might be due to how `fish` shell triggers execution of binaries (but again, I’ve only observed this in conjunction with `mate` — but that’s probably my most-used command-line utility that connects to the WindowServer by a large margin).

        Daniel.

> On 12. Nov 2018, at 05:30, Kevin Reid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 7:42 PM Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2018, at 16:57, Kevin Reid wrote:
>
> I can't confirm right now because the problem is not happening (it's
> intermittent and I haven't identified a cause).
>
> Try run something like this from a terminal to see if it is reproducible:
>
> for (( i = 1; i < 50; i++ )); do echo -n "Edit $i..."; mate -w "/tmp/test $i.txt"; echo "Done!"; done
>
> I did this myself but only issue I saw was that sometimes TextMate wouldn’t activate, mostly addressed in these two commits: https://github.com/textmate/textmate/compare/cc9faa602...d93972f95 and should only hapen when `mate` is used in succession.
>
> No hang/slow when I ran your test. However, in my experience since the last discussion, the problem seems to come and go on a long time scale. Like there's something else about the system, like maybe the state of Spaces/fullscreen, that determines whether it happens; it isn't random each time.

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Quinn Comendant
This happens to me everyday too! Every time, I spend the 5 seconds thinking, “I must be the only one, otherwise this would have been fixed by now.” 🤷‍♂️

Quinn

--
Sent from my mobile device; please excuse the terseness and typos.

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

sellmerfud
I have encountered this a lot lately as well.  (I am using r27, on MacOS 10.14.5).

It seems that simply pressing a key will somehow signal Textmate to come to the front with the file open.
I simply press the command key.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:29 PM Quinn Comendant <[hidden email]> wrote:
This happens to me everyday too! Every time, I spend the 5 seconds thinking, “I must be the only one, otherwise this would have been fixed by now.” 🤷‍♂️

Quinn

--
Sent from my mobile device; please excuse the terseness and typos.

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Dr Eberhard W Lisse
I see this too occasionally, but also with another editor I use (Alpha),
so I don't think it is caused by TextMate.

My impression is, that it has something to wo with previous "context"
being (re)loaded (by MacOs?).

I usually just click into a window, if I can be bothered :-)-O

el

On 2019-07-12 21:43 , Curt Sellmer wrote:

> I have encountered this a lot lately as well.  (I am using r27, on
> MacOS 10.14.5).
>
> It seems that simply pressing a key will somehow signal Textmate to
> come to the front with the file open.  I simply press the command key.
>

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:29 PM Quinn Comendant <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> This happens to me everyday too!  Every time, I spend the 5 seconds
>> thinking, “I must be the only one, otherwise this would have been
>> fixed by now.” 🤷‍♂️
>>
>> Quinn
[...]

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse          / Obstetrician & Gynaecologist (Saar)
[hidden email]            / *     |   Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)

Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Daniel Vollmer

> On 12. Jul 2019, at 20:29, Quinn Comendant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This happens to me everyday too! Every time, I spend the 5 seconds thinking, “I must be the only one, otherwise this would have been fixed by now.” 🤷‍♂️

What shell is everyone using that has this problem? I’m using `fish`.
Maybe it’s something in how the shell launches processes? Does it happen for anyone that uses bash or maybe zsh?