latex plugin and API stability

Andrea Tagliasacchi
Hi guys,

I am a PhD candidate from Canada and i'd like to contribute to TM
with a Latex plugin. The bundle is quite good already but in my opinion
a plugin could transform TM in a true IDE for Latex editing

I was hoping to see TM2.0 for xmas but I have noticed we are still
at ~1.5? What do you suggest? Should I hold off? I was thinking to
start writing my thesis this summer and I would develop this plugin
in parallel… A large update to the APIs would mean a lot of work
done for essentially nothing…

Best
--Andrea

Re: latex plugin and API stability

Brandon Fryslie-2
http://blog.macromates.com/2011/textmate-2-0-alpha/

The TextMate 2 Alpha has been released.

--
Brandon Fryslie
http://www.MateWiki.com - A TextMate 2 Wiki

On Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Andrea Tagliasacchi wrote:

Hi guys,

I am a PhD candidate from Canada and i'd like to contribute to TM
with a Latex plugin. The bundle is quite good already but in my opinion
a plugin could transform TM in a true IDE for Latex editing

I was hoping to see TM2.0 for xmas but I have noticed we are still
at ~1.5? What do you suggest? Should I hold off? I was thinking to
start writing my thesis this summer and I would develop this plugin
in parallel… A large update to the APIs would mean a lot of work
done for essentially nothing…

Best
--Andrea

Re: latex plugin and API stability

Andrea Tagliasacchi
Hi Brandon, thanks for your kind reply.

I did see there was an 'alpha' release but that's hardly a final
release. Furthermore, the TM website still refers to old docs
for plugin development. I attempted to deploy plugins in the
same ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns but
the new TM is ignoring it… The demo "Clock" plugin which I
had working under the previous version is now not picked
up anymore… i.e. no entry is in the menu.

My question is still valid… have the plugin API changed?
What's the new reference/demo for plugin development?

Best
--Andrea

From: Brandon Fryslie <[hidden email]>
To: Plugin developers <[hidden email]>
Subject: [TxMt Plugins] Re: latex plugin and API stability
http://blog.macromates.com/2011/textmate-2-0-alpha/
The TextMate 2 Alpha has been released.
--
Brandon Fryslie
http://www.MateWiki.com - A TextMate 2 Wiki

Re: latex plugin and API stability

Allan Odgaard-4
On 02/05/2012, at 23.11, Andrea Tagliasacchi wrote:

> […] I attempted to deploy plugins in the same ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns but the new TM is ignoring it…

It loads stuff from ~/Library/Application Support/Avian/PlugIns — most of the existing plug-ins wouldn’t be compatible with 2.0 since they use stuff that is not present in 2.0.

> My question is still valid… have the plugin API changed?

There wasn’t really any API so plug-ins relied mostly on undocumented API which has indeed changed (and may still change).

> What's the new reference/demo for plugin development?

Still the Clock example but a real API is yet to appear.