how is the project folder determined (for search)

how is the project folder determined (for search)

Timothy Bates
Hi,
Dumb question for a 12-year user of Textmate (we missed the 10-yer anniversary, it seems: happy birthday TM!), but…

How is the project folder determined? Specifically, I’ve got a tab open which is in a folder marked in the filebrowser (^⌥⌘-D) as the project folder (at least ) it’s ticked in the little drop down menu (see image).

But… If I ⇧⌘-F (find in project), the Dropbox folder is selected… What determines what is set when one used command-shift-F?

In general, I’d appreciate if anyone has pointers to a decent tutorial on how to use project folders.

Re: how is the project folder determined (for search)

Carpii UK
Not entirely sure how this interacts with the menu options, but one way to set project directory is from your .tm_properties

projectDirectory = "$CWD"

Personally I've yet to find any reason *not* to set it to "$CWD" (current directory)
I tend to just open one project at a time though (by using Alfred to call shell scripts, which then simply 'mate /path/to/<project_dir>)

On 27 September 2017 at 22:02, Tim Bates <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
Dumb question for a 12-year user of Textmate (we missed the 10-yer anniversary, it seems: happy birthday TM!), but…

How is the project folder determined? Specifically, I’ve got a tab open which is in a folder marked in the filebrowser (^⌥⌘-D) as the project folder (at least ) it’s ticked in the little drop down menu (see image).

But… If I ⇧⌘-F (find in project), the Dropbox folder is selected… What determines what is set when one used command-shift-F?

In general, I’d appreciate if anyone has pointers to a decent tutorial on how to use project folders.

Re: how is the project folder determined (for search)

じょいすじょん
One way to determine it is to drag and drop a folder onto the TextMate icon in the Dock.
That makes that directory the $CWD when it is opened.

On Sep 28, 2017, at 6:24, Carpii UK <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<PastedGraphic-1.png>

Re: how is the project folder determined (for search)

phuibonhoa
I didn’t know it allowed multiple selections, very powerful!  And hitting ⇧⌘F to return to project directory is a cool ux tip, very thoughtfully done!

Philippe
On Jun 26, 2019, 11:00 PM -0700, Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]>, wrote:

On 27 Sep 2017, at 23:02, Tim Bates wrote:

How is the project folder determined? Specifically, I’ve got a tab open which is in a folder marked in the filebrowser (^⌥⌘-D) as the project folder (at least ) it’s ticked in the little drop down menu (see image).

But… If I ⇧⌘-F (find in project), the Dropbox folder is selected… What determines what is set when one used command-shift-F?

When you use ⇧⌘F then it defaults to the project folder unless focus is in the file browser, in which case it will default to the selected items in the file browser.

If this happens, you can press ⇧⌘F again, and it switches to project folder.

Regarding file browser selection: Note that this allows you to select multiple files and/or folders, invoke the project search, and then only search the items that were selected in the file browser.