[TxMt] set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

12

[TxMt] set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Simon Lucas
Hi

I  have to use a new MacBook Pro at work (a mixed blessing). It has a virtual real ESC key. I find this really awkward when typing Actionscript and using autocomplete. I need a real key (for tactile feedback).

I would like to use the § key at the top left as it is nearest to where the ESC key should be.

I have found and looked at KeyBindings.dict but cannot work out which is the correct key mapping to edit to get what I need.

I can see "$\033"    = "previousCompletion:" , but not anything for 'nextCompletion'.

Is it best to attempt this here or at Bundle level??

Thank-you for any ideas, please

Simon

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Igor Kozlov
On 15 Feb 2017, 11:55 +0200, wrote:

I have to use a new MacBook Pro at work (a mixed blessing). It has a virtual real ESC key. I find this really awkward when typing Actionscript and using autocomplete. I need a real key (for tactile feedback).

Try giving it some time. I'm on the new MBP too and use autocomplete constantly. At first it was a bit awkward but after a few days it feels natural. Now actually pressing ESC on other laptops feels awkward :D

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

George McGinley Smith
Alternatively just rebind your keys using something like https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements (I have caps-lock mapped to escape on an older MBP).

On 15 Feb 2017, at 12:13, Igor K <[hidden email]> wrote:

Try giving it some time. I'm on the new MBP too and use autocomplete constantly. At first it was a bit awkward but after a few days it feels natural. Now actually pressing ESC on other laptops feels awkward :D

Thanks Igor, getting used to it might possible, but I have to switch to a normal keyboard back at home. Also, I use one of my fingers to feel/find the edge of the ESC key is before hitting it. I'd like to explore finding an alternative :)

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Simon Lucas
Hi George. Interesting. This changes it at a system level?

Would it allow me to use the § key? It seems to be the best key to use for me.

Simon

On 15 Feb 2017, at 12:40, George McGinley Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alternatively just rebind your keys using something like https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements (I have caps-lock mapped to escape on an older MBP).

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 at 16:16 Igor K <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15 Feb 2017, 11:55 +0200, wrote:

I have to use a new MacBook Pro at work (a mixed blessing). It has a virtual real ESC key. I find this really awkward when typing Actionscript and using autocomplete. I need a real key (for tactile feedback).

Try giving it some time. I'm on the new MBP too and use autocomplete constantly. At first it was a bit awkward but after a few days it feels natural. Now actually pressing ESC on other laptops feels awkward :D

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Stefan Daschek
In Sierra you can simply use System Preferences to remap Escape to one
of the other modifier keys:
https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/25/remap-escape-key-action-macbook-pro-macos-sierra-10-12-1-modifier-keys/

S.

Am 15.02.17 um 13:40 schrieb George McGinley Smith:

> Alternatively just rebind your keys using something
> like https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements (I have caps-lock
> mapped to escape on an older MBP).
>
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 at 16:16 Igor K <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 15 Feb 2017, 11:55 +0200, wrote:
>

>>     I have to use a new MacBook Pro at work (a mixed blessing). It has
>>     a virtual real ESC key. I find this really awkward when typing
>>     Actionscript and using autocomplete. I need a real key (for
>>     tactile feedback).
>
>     Try giving it some time. I'm on the new MBP too and use autocomplete
>     constantly. At first it was a bit awkward but after a few days it
>     feels natural. Now actually pressing ESC on other laptops feels
>     awkward :D

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

dangerwillrobinsondanger
Less invasive, you can also just customize the TMBundles.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 15, 2017, at 22:05, Stefan Daschek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In Sierra you can simply use System Preferences to remap Escape to one of the other modifier keys: https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/25/remap-escape-key-action-macbook-pro-macos-sierra-10-12-1-modifier-keys/
>

> S.
>
>> Am 15.02.17 um 13:40 schrieb George McGinley Smith:
>> Alternatively just rebind your keys using something
>> like https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements (I have caps-lock
>> mapped to escape on an older MBP).
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 at 16:16 Igor K <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>>    On 15 Feb 2017, 11:55 +0200, wrote:
>>>

>>>    I have to use a new MacBook Pro at work (a mixed blessing). It has
>>>    a virtual real ESC key. I find this really awkward when typing
>>>    Actionscript and using autocomplete. I need a real key (for
>>>    tactile feedback).
>>
>>    Try giving it some time. I'm on the new MBP too and use autocomplete
>>    constantly. At first it was a bit awkward but after a few days it
>>    feels natural. Now actually pressing ESC on other laptops feels
>>    awkward :D

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Simon Lucas
yes, but i don't think re-assigning a modifier would suit me as i use them in many applications.
simon

> On 15 Feb 2017, at 13:05, Stefan Daschek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In Sierra you can simply use System Preferences to remap Escape to one of the other modifier keys: https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/25/remap-escape-key-action-macbook-pro-macos-sierra-10-12-1-modifier-keys/
>

> S.
>
> Am 15.02.17 um 13:40 schrieb George McGinley Smith:
>> Alternatively just rebind your keys using something
>> like https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements (I have caps-lock
>> mapped to escape on an older MBP).
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 at 16:16 Igor K <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 15 Feb 2017, 11:55 +0200, wrote:
>>

>>>    I have to use a new MacBook Pro at work (a mixed blessing). It has
>>>    a virtual real ESC key. I find this really awkward when typing
>>>    Actionscript and using autocomplete. I need a real key (for
>>>    tactile feedback).
>>
>>    Try giving it some time. I'm on the new MBP too and use autocomplete
>>    constantly. At first it was a bit awkward but after a few days it
>>    feels natural. Now actually pressing ESC on other laptops feels
>>    awkward :D

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Simon Lucas
Yes, please. I'd like to do this.

Is there a user-guide on how to do it? I looked at the bundle menu edit and could not see how to do it.

On 15 Feb 2017, at 13:08, [hidden email] wrote:

Less invasive, you can also just customize the TMBundles.

Sent from my iPhone

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

dangerwillrobinsondanger
For this one go to edit bundles.
Select Bundle Development > Other Actions > Scope Completion
The drawer open to the window will have the details.
Just click the x in the field labeled Key Equivalent and then record your new key equivalent.

On Feb 15, 2017, at 23:13, Simon Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, please. I'd like to do this.

Is there a user-guide on how to do it? I looked at the bundle menu edit and could not see how to do it.

On 15 Feb 2017, at 13:08, [hidden email] wrote:

Less invasive, you can also just customize the TMBundles.

Sent from my iPhone

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Martin Kühl-3
1. Macros » Start Recording (⌥⌘M)
2. ⎋
3. Macros » Stop Recording (⌥⌘M)
4. Macros » Save Macro… (⌃⌘M)

Give the macro an appropriate name like “Complete” and set “key
equivalent” to §.

HTH,
Martin

complete macro.png (404K) Download Attachment

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Simon Lucas
Martin,

thank-you. That works!

I did not know about macros, so now I can use it to create a blank class template :)

Regards

Simon

On 15 Feb 2017, at 15:41, Martin Kühl <[hidden email]> wrote:

1. Macros » Start Recording (⌥⌘M)
2. ⎋
3. Macros » Stop Recording (⌥⌘M)
4. Macros » Save Macro… (⌃⌘M)

Give the macro an appropriate name like “Complete” and set “key
equivalent” to §.

HTH,
Martin

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Matt Neuburg
_Lots_ of keyboards have § key at the upper right. m.

> On Feb 15, 2017, at 8:36 AM, じょいすじょん <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What keyboard layout do you have that has § on the keyboard?
>
>> On Feb 16, 2017, at 0:54, Simon Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Martin,
>>
>> thank-you. That works!
>>
>> I did not know about macros, so now I can use it to create a blank class template :)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Simon
>>
>>> On 15 Feb 2017, at 15:41, Martin Kühl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Macros » Start Recording (⌥⌘M)
>>> 2. ⎋
>>> 3. Macros » Stop Recording (⌥⌘M)

matt neuburg, phd = http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 10! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920055235.do
iOS 10 Fundamentals! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920055211.do

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Matt Neuburg
I meant, at the upper left (I always make that mistake, sorry). m.

> On Feb 15, 2017, at 8:36 AM, じょいすじょん <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What keyboard layout do you have that has § on the keyboard?
>
>> On Feb 16, 2017, at 0:54, Simon Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Martin,
>>
>> thank-you. That works!
>>
>> I did not know about macros, so now I can use it to create a blank class template :)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Simon
>>
>>> On 15 Feb 2017, at 15:41, Martin Kühl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Macros » Start Recording (⌥⌘M)
>>> 2. ⎋
>>> 3. Macros » Stop Recording (⌥⌘M)
>>> 4. Macros » Save Macro… (⌃⌘M)
>>>
>>> Give the macro an appropriate name like “Complete” and set “key
>>> equivalent” to §.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Martin

matt neuburg, phd = http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 10! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920055235.do
iOS 10 Fundamentals! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920055211.do

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

Simon Lucas
It's the top left key next to the '1'. Extended Apple KB with British layout.
On 15 Feb 2017, at 16:36, じょいすじょん <[hidden email]> wrote:

What keyboard layout do you have that has § on the keyboard?

[TxMt] Re: set alternative to ESC key for autocomplete ? (on new macbook)

dangerwillrobinsondanger
Interesting. I'll try it out tomorrow. I've a UK KB at my office.
US KB has tilde and backtick on that key, but I'm curious why that key on that kb wouldn't record.
And thanks Matt for the screenshot. (it goes through if not in digest mode for mailing list)

Generally, if the option presents itself (at time of order for Macs) I recommend a US keyboard layout for programmers.
Mainly because you end up with more shortcuts that work properly even if other bits of the layout are off.
Here in Japan it's common practice for programmers, where a JIS keyboard is great if you're typing a lot of Japanese text, it's not so great for coding.

On 15 February 2017 at 16:54, Simon Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did not know about macros, so now I can use it to create a blank class
> template :)

You should really try to use snippets for that, they’re more reliable
and easier to create and modify.

Cheers,
Martin

> On 15 Feb 2017, at 15:41, Martin Kühl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1. Macros » Start Recording (⌥⌘M)
> 2. ⎋
> 3. Macros » Stop Recording (⌥⌘M)
> 4. Macros » Save Macro… (⌃⌘M)
>
> Give the macro an appropriate name like “Complete” and set “key
> equivalent” to §.
>
> HTH,
> Martin

12