[TxMt] Occasional performance hickups when editing, possibly my own fault. Any obvious way to profile TM performance?

[TxMt] Occasional performance hickups when editing, possibly my own fault. Any obvious way to profile TM performance?

Bert Zangle
Hey

I'm occasionally experiencing  smaller performance hickups in TM. Writing a
line of code, there's a short delay before the input appears; delay is maybe
in the range of half a second. It's infrequent enough not to be really
bothersome, but ideally, I'd like to know the cause.

It could in fact be some (too expensive) regexes I defined in my customized
language grammars, but I can't say for sure right now.

That's why I was wondering: is there a relatively simple way I can profile
TM/TM processes, in order to find out if it is in fact my own grammar rules
causing these hickups, or if it's something else?

[TxMt] Re: Occasional performance hickups when editing, possibly my own fault. Any obvious way to profile TM performance?

Bert Zangle
(update)

The delays seems to be getting more frequent. Doesn't happen outside of TM,
so I don't think it's a system-wide problem.

My best guess right now is that either it's related to some regexes (as
described above), or it's some other TM performance problem. Any ideas how
to test this further (other than disabling each of the regexes one by one,
which I'd prefer to do only as a last resort)?

[TxMt] Re: Occasional performance hickups when editing, possibly my own fault. Any obvious way to profile TM performance?

Allan Odgaard-4

On 27 Nov 2016, at 21:35, Bert Zangle wrote:

The delays seems to be getting more frequent. Doesn't happen outside of TM,
so I don't think it's a system-wide problem.

My best guess right now is that either it's related to some regexes (as
described above), or it's some other TM performance problem.

I doubt it is related to regular expressions in your custom grammar, as these run in a separate thread.

It could either be that you have a command running “on document changes” or possibly that you are out of memory and the delays are causing by swapping memory out to disk.

When a delay happens you can run sample TextMate 1 in a terminal to see what TextMate is doing.

You may want to make an alias or bind this to a hotkey, so that you can do it the instant you noticed that TextMate stalls.

You can also try to (install and then) run pstree when it is stalling to see if there is any subprocess being run by TextMate.

[TxMt] Re: Occasional performance hickups when editing, possibly my own fault. Any obvious way to profile TM performance?

Bert Zangle
Allan Odgaard-4 wrote

> It could either be that you have a command running “on document
> changes” or possibly that you are out of memory and the delays are
> causing by swapping memory out to disk.
>
> When a delay happens you can run `sample TextMate 1` in a terminal to
> see what TextMate is doing.
>
> You may want to make an alias or bind this to a hotkey, so that you can
> do it the instant you noticed that TextMate stalls.
>
> You can also try to (install and then) run `pstree` when it is stalling
> to see if there is any subprocess being run by TextMate.

Bound both of them to a shortcut, will see what I get when it happens again.

I added `footprint` in case the problem is memory related like you suggest,
does that make sense?

On 28 Nov 2016, at 21:59, Bert Zangle wrote:

I added `footprint` in case the problem is memory related like you suggest,
does that make sense?

For a quick check run vm_stat and look at pageouts.

If this number is low, swapping is unlikely to be the issue.