[TxMt] Multiple TM dock icons

Carpii UK
I seem to be ending up with two TM dock icons quite a bit lately, not 100% sure but it seems to coincide with when I accept a LiveUpdate.

No causing me a problem but I just wonder if this is normal? Feels like it might be a bug that nobody has yet reported....

[TxMt] Re: Multiple TM dock icons

Allan Odgaard-4

On 13 Oct 2016, at 2:13, Carpii UK wrote:

I seem to be ending up with two TM dock icons quite a bit lately, not 100%
sure but it seems to coincide with when I accept a LiveUpdate.

Do you have the “is running” indicator enabled for the dock, and if so, does it show only one of the two instances running?

What if you right-click the dock-icon and select Options → Show in Finder, do the two dock icons point to the same location?

The way the updating works is that it actually writes a new Contents folder inside TextMate.app, so there are never two TextMate.app files on the disk, so it would be surprising if the system still manages to see two (unique) versions.

That said, there has been issues in the past with multiple TextMate.app entries in Finder’s Open With menu, but that was before I started overwriting Contents instead of writing a new TextMate.app.

[TxMt] Re: Multiple TM dock icons

Carpii UK
Thanks Allan,

I don't have an answer for any of your questions just yet
It's not something I can reproduce, it's just something I notice happening occasionally (and seems to coincide with a live update, but not 100% sure)

I'll gather some more info next time I see it

Cheers
Paul

On 16 October 2016 at 12:37, Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Graham Heath
Have you ever built TM from the source? I’ve had some forks that I’ve played with that sometimes get picked up as the real TextMate. That, iirc, has lead to multiple TM’s in my dock.

I forget if they were both active, or if starting one focused the already opened version.

Thanks,

Graham Heath

On October 19, 2016 at 4:05:52 PM, Carpii UK ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

I just had this happen again, but as Graham suggested, it seems to be due to my custom TM build.

'ps aux | grep textmate -i' confirmed both instances were from different paths.

I'm guessing after updating, TextMate just asks OSX to launch TextMate without an absolute path?
So it seems to pick up my custom build, which is in home/build and hence in my $PATH

Not a problem now I know whats causing it

Cheers

On 9 Nov 2016, at 4:41, Carpii UK wrote:

> I just had this happen again, but as Graham suggested, it seems to be
> due
> to my custom TM build.
>
> 'ps aux | grep textmate -i' confirmed both instances were from
> different
> paths.
>
> I'm guessing after updating, TextMate just asks OSX to launch TextMate
> without an absolute path?
> So it seems to pick up my custom build, which is in home/build and
> hence in
> my $PATH

It does use an absolute path, but via <x-man-page://1/open> so in theory
this command could use the absolute path to obtain the bundle identifier
and then use that, but this would be strange.

I’ve added a note about this, so I may do some testing in the future.