Textmate hangs when clicking on a Tab

sellmerfud
I am using the latest 2.0 release of Textmate on a 2017 Macbook Pro.  MacOS 10.14.6

I have experienced this only twice in the last two days.
Both times, I had three open documents in Textmate and with the project drawer visible.

I clicked in the Tab bar to select a different document. And the program becomes unresponsive.  I cannot type any characters and clicking on any part of the editor view in Textmate has no effect.

Clicking on Tabs has not effect  Clicking in the File Browser has no effect.
Interestingly, dragging a Tab to the desktop will make a copy of the Document on the desktop.

Clicking on the "Menus" at the bottom of the window such as Tabs, or Language, or the GoTo menu  will show the menu.  Clicking on an item in the Goto Menu does not move the editor that that location.

If I switch to another app I cannot use Cmd-Tab to bring TextMate to the front.  The TextMate icons is visible when I press Cmd-Tab but selecting it has not effect.
I can bring TextMate to the front by clicking on it.

Activity Monitor shows that TextMate is not using any CPU.

I have to Force Quit TextMate.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 1:32 PM Jacob Carlborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Using Spindump and/or Sample Process from within Activity Monitor on the TextMate process could help to give some information.

OK, will do next time it happens.

Re: Textmate hangs when clicking on a Tab

Etienne Samson
I had it happen to me a few times, but it's been so sporadic/unexpected as to be hard to pinpoint a reproducer.

I *think* it's because tabs are both "a tab" (the UI thing) and "a file" (the proxy thingie in normal title bars). So when you click one, if you slightly misclick, you can drag the tab "over" the text view. As it is considered "a file" by the text view, TM tries to calculate an insertion point, which races with the grammar/syntax coloring that's going on (remember, you've just brought this tab to the front by click). Then you loose the runloop because something raised inside the modal drag loop, and you have to force quit.

It's fiddly, I might be completely/somewhat wrong, but hopefully this helps — to me it's the only major "crashing" bug I've seen in years of TM usage, and it only happened twice.

Regards,
Etienne Samson
--

Le 18 sept. 2019 à 20:25, Curt Sellmer <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

It has taken awhile, but I finally had this occur again today.
I have attached the sample and spindump files.

sellmerfud_TextMate_Sample.txt (103K) Download Attachment
sellmerfud_TextMate_Spindump.txt (3M) Download Attachment

On 18 Sep 2019, at 20:25, Curt Sellmer wrote:

I clicked in the Tab bar to select a different document. And the program
becomes unresponsive. I cannot type any characters and clicking on any
part of the editor view in Textmate has no effect.

From the sample you sent, TextMate is not doing any work, and based on your description that some functionality still work, it sounds more like internal state has been corrupted.

I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest for tracking down this issue :(