TextMate 2 + LaTeX == 'Error: Could not open to check for packages'

TextMate 2 + LaTeX == 'Error: Could not open to check for packages'

Florian Jug
Hello,

I looked around for quite some while now, but everything I found online did either not apply for TextMate 2 any more or did just not help me to solve my problem.

I am using:
- OSX 10.9 (latest updates installed)
- TeXLive 2009 (now also 2013)
- latest LaTeX bundle (reinstalled just before)

What happens:
- I open a file that compiles just fine from terminal using pdflatex in TextMate 2.
- I hit command+r
- The HTML output window opens ans says (twice in different font size, one on top of other): "Error: Could not open to check for packages." And in a second line it continues: "This is most likely a problem with TM_LATEX_MASTER".
- The main TextMate window then also said: "Failure running 'Typeset&View (PDF)'. Command returned status code 1."

Some more info:
- I do try to compile a simple file, no includes or imports... So I guess I do not need TM_LATEX_MASTER, do I?
- The LaTeX bundle is set up to use pdflatex.
- Using "defaults write com.macromates.textmate latexDebug 1" does not cause any additional outputs within TextMates GUI, nor in the Console.

What else did I try:
- I completely reset all TextMate settings (by deleting several folders and files as suggested somewhere in the net) -- this changed a LOT, my TextMate was certainly not the same any longer... but error remained the same.

If anybody has ANY idea what the most likely totally braindead and stupid thing is that I do not see... please let me know... you'd be my personal hero and I will worship you for weeks... ;)

Thanks,
Florian

Re: TextMate 2 + LaTeX == 'Error: Could not open to check for packages'

Allan Odgaard-4
On 14 Feb 2014, at 6:53, Florian Jug wrote:

> I am using:
> - OSX 10.9 (latest updates installed)
> - TeXLive 2009 (now also 2013)
> - latest LaTeX bundle (reinstalled just before)

Generally there is no need to manually install bundles (that are listed
in Preferences → Bundles), on the contrary; TextMate keeps things
updated, and if you start to manually install things, you will eclipse
automatic updates (and might soon end up with a stale bundle).

> […] "Error: Could not open to check for packages."
> And in a second line it continues: "This is most likely a problem with
> TM_LATEX_MASTER".

Looking at the LaTeX bundle, this error seems to be because it fails to
obtain your document’s file name by running:

     kpsewhich -progname="pdflatex" «document»

Here «document» should be your document unless you have set
TM_LATEX_MASTER (or are perhaps using some %iTeX directive), which is
why the bundle suggests it might be an issue with TM_LATEX_MASTER.

But it could probably also be an issue with kpsewhich.

Above you mention both TeXLive 2009 and 2013. I think we’ve had users
install one, then update it, and afterward the LaTeX environment was
broken for TextMate.

> Some more info:
> - I do try to compile a simple file, no includes or imports... So I
> guess I
> do not need TM_LATEX_MASTER, do I?

You do not. This is only if you have multiple .tex files and want to
designate one of them the “master”, i.e. the one to typeset,
regardless of what file is the current one.

> If anybody has ANY idea what the most likely totally braindead and
> stupid
> thing is that I do not see...

In a terminal run:

     which kpsewhich

And also try to run:

     kpsewhich -progname="pdflatex" /path/to/document.tex

Re: TextMate 2 + LaTeX == 'Error: Could not open to check for packages'

Florian Jug
Ok, important things first:

I ran the commands you suggested:
jug@myers-mac-7:~$ which kpsewhich
/usr/local/texlive/2013/bin/x86_64-darwin/kpsewhich
jug@myers-mac-7:~$ kpsewhich -progname="pdflatex" /Users/jug/Dropbox/WorkingData/MPI/Publications/Papers/2014_MICCAI_MotherMachine/MM_MICCAI2014.tex
/Users/jug/Dropbox/WorkingData/MPI/Publications/Papers/2014_MICCAI_MotherMachine/MM_MICCAI2014.tex

I assume that this is bad (in that my problem is something else)???
At least the error is unchanged when trying to typeset from TextMate 2.

Then one clarification:

> Generally there is no need to manually install bundles (that are listed
> in Preferences → Bundles), on the contrary; TextMate keeps things
> updated, and if you start to manually install things, you will eclipse
> automatic updates (and might soon end up with a stale bundle).

I was not installing it manually... I just unchecked it which deinstalled it, then rechecked the checkbox.

Thanks for your help,
Florian

Re: TextMate 2 + LaTeX == 'Error: Could not open to check for packages'

Florian Jug
SOLVED! :)

Please don't ask me why, but in TextMate 2 I've had a Variable TEXINPUTS set to '../common/:../build/include//'.

I do not remember ever having set this up myself and also looking at those weird relative paths I would not know what it would be for.

Anyways... when I disabled this variable TextMate decided that typesetting documents is fun again! Yay!!!

Thanks for your help anyways,
Florian
:)