TM Dialog Development

Andrew Hanna-2
Hello,

Is this where the main discussion regarding the TM Dialog development
is?  If so, I have a great suggestion that as far as I can tell has
not yet been implemented.

I think it would be great to expose a dictionary object usable as a
NSObjectController in a Window inside a NIB that would be stored
within a project.  This would be similar to using the "User Defaults"
object, but instead it would be a sort of "Project Defaults".  This
would allow for some configuration/customization based on individual
projects rather than the system as a whole.  It would also allow for
using and storing this information across version controlled systems,
for example.

I don't have much knowledge/experience in how the TM Dialog plugin
works, so I wouldn't have much idea as to how one could implement
this, and it may or may not require modifications to the core of
TextMate.

-Andrew

Re: TM Dialog Development

Allan Odgaard-4
Hi Andrew.

Main discussion mainly happens on IRC, we occasionally use textmate-dev.

I am not sure how you imagine the feature you request should be
implemented. First of all, placing an NSDictionary in a nib and
binding to that (via an object controller) is something the client
using the DIALOG command can already do (if it makes sense).

Secondly, I’d be very wary of tying
Storing such settings in a project is rather tricky especially since
project files will disappear in the future.

On 15 Oct 2008, at 17:28, Andrew Hanna wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is this where the main discussion regarding the TM Dialog development
> is?  If so, I have a great suggestion that as far as I can tell has
> not yet been implemented.
>
> I think it would be great to expose a dictionary object usable as a
> NSObjectController in a Window inside a NIB that would be stored
> within a project.  This would be similar to using the "User Defaults"
> object, but instead it would be a sort of "Project Defaults".  This
> would allow for some configuration/customization based on individual
> projects rather than the system as a whole.  It would also allow for
> using and storing this information across version controlled systems,
> for example.
>
> I don't have much knowledge/experience in how the TM Dialog plugin
> works, so I wouldn't have much idea as to how one could implement
> this, and it may or may not require modifications to the core of
> TextMate.
>
> -Andrew

Re: TM Dialog Development

Allan Odgaard-4
Accidentally sent this… I hate my new wireless keyboard :(

Anyway, projects are sort of defined by files listed in the tmproj
file except those can be folder references and this file will be
removed in the future. I do want to support project specific
properties, but not for TM 1.x.

But, if you see a need for the feature you request, you can already do
it, e.g. store the plist under TM_PROJECT_DIR and read it into the
modal before opening a nib.