Subject: Could TM add itself as a suitable app for opening no-extension files?

Carpii UK
If you create an empty file with no file extension (on your desktop for example), then right click it, OSX/Finder offers various app choices to use to 'Open With..'

A lot of other text and code editors appear in this list (Atom, Visual Code, Sublime Text), but TextMate does not

It would be very useful if TM would register itself with OSX in the same way.
I guess there's some way to do this manually, but if so, I haven't found it yet

Re: Subject: Could TM add itself as a suitable app for opening no-extension files?

Gerd Knops-2
Finder, right/control-click file, “Open With…”, “Other…”, find app, be sure to have “Always open with” checked.

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 16:28, Carpii UK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you create an empty file with no file extension (on your desktop for example), then right click it, OSX/Finder offers various app choices to use to 'Open With..'
>
> A lot of other text and code editors appear in this list (Atom, Visual Code, Sublime Text), but TextMate does not
>
> It would be very useful if TM would register itself with OSX in the same way.
> I guess there's some way to do this manually, but if so, I haven't found it yet

Re: Subject: Could TM add itself as a suitable app for opening no-extension files?

Carpii UK
I'd already tried that but came to the conclusion you couldn't do it for files without an extension

It turns out it was an issue with PathFinder Desktop (which I forgot replaces many aspects of Finder).
Doing it via native oSX Finder works fine as you say, thankyou

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 08:22, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Finder, right/control-click file, “Open With…”, “Other…”, find app, be sure to have “Always open with” checked.

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 16:28, Carpii UK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you create an empty file with no file extension (on your desktop for example), then right click it, OSX/Finder offers various app choices to use to 'Open With..'
>
> A lot of other text and code editors appear in this list (Atom, Visual Code, Sublime Text), but TextMate does not
>
> It would be very useful if TM would register itself with OSX in the same way.
> I guess there's some way to do this manually, but if so, I haven't found it yet

Re: Subject: Could TM add itself as a suitable app for opening no-extension files?

Rob McBroom-4
On 6 Sep 2019, at 7:20, Carpii UK wrote:

> I'd already tried that but came to the conclusion you couldn't do it
> for
> files without an extension
>
> It turns out it was an issue with PathFinder Desktop (which I forgot
> replaces many aspects of Finder).

Well hey, if you’re using Path Finder anyway, you can just add “Open
in TextMate” to the top-level of the contextual menu for all files. I
did this long ago.

In the Preferences, go to Features → Contextual Menu.

--
Rob McBroom

On 5 Sep 2019, at 23:28, Carpii UK wrote:

It would be very useful if TM would register itself with OSX in the same
way.

I would love to have TextMate in that menu, but I have no clue what Apple expects.

TextMate declares support for document types with the following criteria:

CFBundleTypeExtensions = ( '*' );
CFBundleTypeOSTypes    = ( '****' );
LSItemContentTypes     = ( 'public.data' );

Quite sure that in the past, I got TextMate added when I added public.data but that no longer works.

I see e.g. Script Editor in the Open With menu, looking at their Info.plist I don’t see anything declared there that TextMate doesn’t also declare.

So if anybody knows how to get TextMate added by default, please let me know.