Projects in TM2: simple include/exclude directories

Projects in TM2: simple include/exclude directories

backspaces
TM2 changed the concept of projects.  Could someone point to the best pages/posts for explaining them?

First of all, *are* there projects?  I see the .tm_properties discussions but not sure how to correctly use them, or how to build a project that has multiple folders.

My projects are of two kinds: github and multi-folder.  I think the first is easy once I understand the format of the .tm_properties file (God I wish it were JSON, but I digress) because there's one obvious top level folder, the git repo, and I can include/exclude files/folders in .tm_properties, I think.

But the second is harder I think.  Think of my home directory with several folders I'd like to include in multiple projects.  Ex: my bin dir and my notes dir to start with.  I could built a .tm_properties file in the home dir which include bin and dir (both of which might also have their own .tm_properties?)  But then I also want another project in my home dir that includes two other folders, src and hax.  How do I manage that?  I can't rely on the single home .tm_properties .. I seem to need two of them.

The solution for me with Sublime is to have a folder of projects, each of which is a JSON tree which can aim its path at specific sets of folders anywhere in my system with associated include/excludes.

Can I do this in TM2?  Easily?  Thanks!

   -- Owen

Re: Projects in TM2: simple include/exclude directories

Jason Discount
On 22 Nov 2013, at 6:03 am, backspaces <[hidden email]> wrote:

> TM2 changed the concept of projects.  Could someone point to the best
> pages/posts for explaining them?

Best place to start is probably here: https://github.com/textmate/textmate/wiki/FAQ#projects

Re: Projects in TM2: simple include/exclude directories

Baldwin, Dave
In your project folder just include symbolic links or aliases to the
folders you wish to be subfolders.

Symbolic links and aliases aren¹t quite the same thing and I cannot
remember which one you need to use.

Dave.

On 21/11/2013 12:03, "backspaces" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>TM2 changed the concept of projects.  Could someone point to the best
>pages/posts for explaining them?
>
>First of all, *are* there projects?  I see the .tm_properties discussions
>but not sure how to correctly use them, or how to build a project that has
>multiple folders.
>
>My projects are of two kinds: github and multi-folder.  I think the first
>is
>easy once I understand the format of the .tm_properties file (God I wish
>it
>were JSON, but I digress) because there's one obvious top level folder,
>the
>git repo, and I can include/exclude files/folders in .tm_properties, I
>think.
>
>But the second is harder I think.  Think of my home directory with several
>folders I'd like to include in multiple projects.  Ex: my bin dir and my
>notes dir to start with.  I could built a .tm_properties file in the home
>dir which include bin and dir (both of which might also have their own
>.tm_properties?)  But then I also want another project in my home dir that
>includes two other folders, src and hax.  How do I manage that?  I can't
>rely on the single home .tm_properties .. I seem to need two of them.
>
>The solution for me with Sublime is to have a folder of projects, each of
>which is a JSON tree which can aim its path at specific sets of folders
>anywhere in my system with associated include/excludes.
>
>Can I do this in TM2?  Easily?  Thanks!
>
>   -- Owen
>

>--

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47

On 22 Nov 2013, at 4:44, Jason Discount wrote:

> Best place to start is probably here:
> https://github.com/textmate/textmate/wiki/FAQ#projects

Just edited the entry to add a link to
http://manual.textmate.org/projects

Btw: For those using symbolic links, I probably will allow inline
expansion in the file browser despite having been against it in the
past.

Re: Projects in TM2: simple include/exclude directories

backspaces
OK, I think this is how I solve the multi-folder situation .. let me know!

First, each folder would need their own .tm_properties files.  This means if the same folder is in multiple projects, you have no exclude/include files capabilities for the multiple projects.  Each project would have to have the same contents, according to their folders' .tm_properties file.

Second, lets presume my project starts in my home directory.  Then I can have only one project there, specified by the .tm_properties file, which would have to include my multiple folders. Thus my home directory can be a project folder for only a single project.  (Yikes!)

Third, a work around would be to simply have a separate folder per project, containing symbolic links (ln -s) to the folders I want in my project.  This would also have the advantage that I could have a single TM projects folder that would have a folder per project, rather tidy.

Do I have this right?  Sorry to be so confused with the change, I really love TM. Thanks for the help.

   -- Owen

Re: Projects in TM2: simple include/exclude directories

backspaces
Sorry: one last question: I'd like my projects to be double-clickable to open them.  Can I do that?

AFAIK a folder can only be opened by the finder.  Maybe an alias or simlink can be opened by TM2 via double click?  Or maybe I have to make a shell script or god save us apple script to open it?

   -- Owen

Re: Projects in TM2: simple include/exclude directories

dipnlik-2
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 2:52 AM, backspaces <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First, each folder would need their own .tm_properties files.  This means if
> the same folder is in multiple projects, you have no exclude/include files
> capabilities for the multiple projects.  Each project would have to have the
> same contents, according to their folders' .tm_properties file.

  The folder being included in multiple projects does not require its
own .tm_properties file.
  Each project folder can have its own .tm_properties file with its
own configuration, but note that, as Allan said, symbolic links to
folders are currently not expanded.
  Not sure if this makes sense in your context but maybe you can try
changing your workflow and treating your shared folder as a project on
its own (having its own window open along other projects, etc).  I
have a couple projects that depend on other projects and I work this
way in order to have Go To File and searching capabilities in the
subprojects.

> Second, lets presume my project starts in my home directory.  Then I can
> have only one project there, specified by the .tm_properties file, which
> would have to include my multiple folders. Thus my home directory can be a
> project folder for only a single project.  (Yikes!)

  Just curious: why would you want your home folder to be a project
folder?  One usually wants the home folder to have one or more project
folders inside.  I have a folder for each project and all of them are
in a Developer folder in my home folder.

> Third, a work around would be to simply have a separate folder per project,
> containing symbolic links (ln -s) to the folders I want in my project.

  This is not a workaround, this is the expected way to handle projects.

> Sorry: one last question: I'd like my projects to be double-clickable to open
> them.  Can I do that?

  I know this can be done by using the Favorites feature.  From Mate's
drawer, you can navigate then right click a folder and add it to
favorites, and all your favorites are available from the heart icon in
the bottom right, or from File, Open Favorites... .

  Hope that helps,

--
:: dip
--

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 2:52 AM, backspaces <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I think this is how I solve the multi-folder situation .. let me know!
>
> First, each folder would need their own .tm_properties files.  This means if
> the same folder is in multiple projects, you have no exclude/include files
> capabilities for the multiple projects.  Each project would have to have the
> same contents, according to their folders' .tm_properties file.
>
> Second, lets presume my project starts in my home directory.  Then I can
> have only one project there, specified by the .tm_properties file, which
> would have to include my multiple folders. Thus my home directory can be a
> project folder for only a single project.  (Yikes!)
>
> Third, a work around would be to simply have a separate folder per project,
> containing symbolic links (ln -s) to the folders I want in my project.  This
> would also have the advantage that I could have a single TM projects folder
> that would have a folder per project, rather tidy.
>
> Do I have this right?  Sorry to be so confused with the change, I really
> love TM. Thanks for the help.
>
>    -- Owen

Re: Projects in TM2: simple include/exclude directories

Rob McBroom-4
On 21 Nov 2013, at 21:07, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> Just edited the entry to add a link to
> http://manual.textmate.org/projects
>
> Btw: For those using symbolic links, I probably will allow inline
> expansion in the file browser despite having been against it in the
> past.

Now that filesystem tags are first-class citizens (in 10.9), has any
though been given to allowing a project to be based on a tag? That would
allow people to collect far-flung files into a project without doing
anything non-standard.

I’ve never really found the new directory-based model to be limiting,
but I know it comes up a lot.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/