Persistance of search string over multiple programms

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Persistance of search string over multiple programms

Martin Wilhelm Leidig
Hello *,

not sure if this is a TM problem/feature at all; but I found it there, so …

Using TM 2.0-rc.4 and Skim 1.4.26 (100) on El Capitán 10.11.6, I have an odd phenomenon concerning search strings: they persist over several programs.

Example: In TM, I type something into the “Find:” field of the search dialogue, say “test123”. Then I change to Skim, and typing Cmd-F there I see “test123”.  Same effect in the other direction (search words from Skim appear in TM-search), same if I use one of the search dialogues in Skims side panes.  Also same with the mail search in Apple Mail.

I find this “feature” highly annoying.  Is this some new Finder thing (I skipped from 10.6.8 directly to 10.11.x) or is it some TM thing?  How can I disable it?

Thanks for all hints!


-Moss-
--
Debugging?  Klingons do not debug.  Our software does not coddle the weak.
                                -- not by Peter Dyballa (as he vows)



_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate

signature.asc (858 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Persistance of search string over multiple programms

Matt Neuburg
Unfortunately we've been up and down this road. This is a feature of the system. I hate it too. All applications share something called the Find Pasteboard.

https://developer.apple.com/reference/appkit/nsfindpboard

I particularly dislike this when I switch away from TM to do a find in a different program, come back, and discover that my carefully configured search has been destroyed.

I've asked for a preference that would allow us to decouple TM's search fields from the Find Pasteboard, but this has been flatly refused.

m.

> On Feb 8, 2017, at 6:59 AM, Martin Wilhelm Leidig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello *,
>
> not sure if this is a TM problem/feature at all; but I found it there, so …
>
> Using TM 2.0-rc.4 and Skim 1.4.26 (100) on El Capitán 10.11.6, I have an odd phenomenon concerning search strings: they persist over several programs.
>
> Example: In TM, I type something into the “Find:” field of the search dialogue, say “test123”. Then I change to Skim, and typing Cmd-F there I see “test123”.  Same effect in the other direction (search words from Skim appear in TM-search), same if I use one of the search dialogues in Skims side panes.  Also same with the mail search in Apple Mail.
>
> I find this “feature” highly annoying.  Is this some new Finder thing (I skipped from 10.6.8 directly to 10.11.x) or is it some TM thing?  How can I disable it?
>
> Thanks for all hints!
>
>
> -Moss-
> --
> Debugging?  Klingons do not debug.  Our software does not coddle the weak.
> -- not by Peter Dyballa (as he vows)
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> textmate mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate


--
matt neuburg, phd = http://www.apeth.net/matt/
pantes anthropoi tou eidenai oregontai phusei
Programming iOS 10! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920055235.do
iOS 10 Fundamentals! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920055211.do
RubyFrontier! http://www.apeth.com/RubyFrontierDocs/default.html


_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Persistance of search string over multiple programms

Jacob Carlborg

> On 8 feb 2017, at 19:38, Matt Neuburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately we've been up and down this road. This is a feature of the system. I hate it too. All applications share something called the Find Pasteboard.
>
> https://developer.apple.com/reference/appkit/nsfindpboard
>
> I particularly dislike this when I switch away from TM to do a find in a different program, come back, and discover that my carefully configured search has been destroyed.


TextMate keeps a history of what you’ve search for. The button to the left of the Find text field. Perhaps not ideal but better than nothing.

--
/Jacob Carlborg

_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Persistance of search string over multiple programms

Carpii UK
If you use Alfred as an app launcher, it offers a clipboard history. 

I dont use this feature much, but when I do its invaluable


On 8 February 2017 at 19:23, Jacob Carlborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8 feb 2017, at 19:38, Matt Neuburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately we've been up and down this road. This is a feature of the system. I hate it too. All applications share something called the Find Pasteboard.
>
> https://developer.apple.com/reference/appkit/nsfindpboard
>
> I particularly dislike this when I switch away from TM to do a find in a different program, come back, and discover that my carefully configured search has been destroyed.


TextMate keeps a history of what you’ve search for. The button to the left of the Find text field. Perhaps not ideal but better than nothing.

--
/Jacob Carlborg

_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate



_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Persistance of search string over multiple programms

Martin Wilhelm Leidig
In reply to this post by Matt Neuburg
Matt,

am 2017-02-08 um 19:38 schrieb Matt Neuburg <[hidden email]>:
>
> Unfortunately we've been up and down this road. This is a feature of the system. I hate it too. All applications share something called the Find Pasteboard.
>
> https://developer.apple.com/reference/appkit/nsfindpboard

I feared that answer.  Thanks for the reference!

According to <http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/78894/is-there-any-way-to-disable-mac-os-x-global-search-string-propagation> this annoying “feature” has been around since the really early days, when Mac OS X was still called NextStep.

Hmm.  How come that never hit me in Mac OS X 10.[3456]?

> I particularly dislike this when I switch away from TM to do a find in a different program, come back, and discover that my carefully configured search has been destroyed.

\begin{rant}
Exactly.  I frequently switch from my TeX work file(s) to some packages’ manual PDF in Skim, searching there for something, just to find the last search string from there in the TM search after switching back.  Same in the other direction.  I can’t remember _one_ occasion where I found that behaviour useful.  Completely useless “Feature”.
\end{rant}
Sorry.

> I’ve asked for a preference that would allow us to decouple TM's search fields from the Find Pasteboard, but this has been flatly refused.

Why?

>> On Feb 8, 2017, at 6:59 AM, Martin Wilhelm Leidig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello *,
>>
>> not sure if this is a TM problem/feature at all; but I found it there, so …
>>
>> Using TM 2.0-rc.4 and Skim 1.4.26 (100) on El Capitán 10.11.6, I have an odd phenomenon concerning search strings: they persist over several programs.
>>
>> Example: In TM, I type something into the “Find:” field of the search dialogue, say “test123”. Then I change to Skim, and typing Cmd-F there I see “test123”.  Same effect in the other direction (search words from Skim appear in TM-search), same if I use one of the search dialogues in Skims side panes.  Also same with the mail search in Apple Mail.
>>
>> I find this “feature” highly annoying.  Is this some new Finder thing (I skipped from 10.6.8 directly to 10.11.x) or is it some TM thing?  How can I disable it?
>>
>> Thanks for all hints!

-Moss-
--
Programme sind schwer zu schreiben.  Sie sollen auch schwer zu lesen sein.
                                -- Sprichwort klingonischer Programmierer



_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate

signature.asc (858 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Persistance of search string over multiple programms

Martin Wilhelm Leidig
In reply to this post by Carpii UK
Am 2017-02-08 um 20:43 schrieb Carpii UK <[hidden email]>:
>
> If you use Alfred as an app launcher, it offers a clipboard history.

I’m using Launchbar, which also does that; and there are a few more apps: <http://superuser.com/questions/17200/how-do-i-view-my-clipboard-history-on-os-x>.

> On 8 February 2017 at 19:23, Jacob Carlborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> TextMate keeps a history of what you’ve search for. The button to the left of the Find text field.

Yes, but I don’t want to loose and restore my search string each and every time when switching to another program just to look up something.

TM also has a history of replacement strings but those are not connected.  AlphaX (and AlphaCocoa, being its next iteration) has that connection and is even able to save pairs of find/replace strings permanently.  This would prove very useful in TM, too.

Obviously, AlphaX doesn’t use the Find Pasteboard at all.


Regards,

Martin Wilhelm Leidig
--
SatzTeXnik — Professional TeXing and TeXnical counselling



_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate

signature.asc (858 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Persistance of search string over multiple programms

Graham Heath
Sorry to pile on, but, i’d like to have a longer "Filter Through Command" history.

Thanks,

Graham Heath


On February 8, 2017 at 4:11:18 PM, Martin Wilhelm Leidig ([hidden email]) wrote:

Am 2017-02-08 um 20:43 schrieb Carpii UK <[hidden email]>:
>
> If you use Alfred as an app launcher, it offers a clipboard history.

I’m using Launchbar, which also does that; and there are a few more apps: <http://superuser.com/questions/17200/how-do-i-view-my-clipboard-history-on-os-x>.

> On 8 February 2017 at 19:23, Jacob Carlborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> TextMate keeps a history of what you’ve search for. The button to the left of the Find text field.

Yes, but I don’t want to loose and restore my search string each and every time when switching to another program just to look up something.

TM also has a history of replacement strings but those are not connected. AlphaX (and AlphaCocoa, being its next iteration) has that connection and is even able to save pairs of find/replace strings permanently. This would prove very useful in TM, too.

Obviously, AlphaX doesn’t use the Find Pasteboard at all.


Regards,

Martin Wilhelm Leidig
--
SatzTeXnik — Professional TeXing and TeXnical counselling


_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate


_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Persistance of search string over multiple programms

Rob McBroom-4
In reply to this post by Matt Neuburg
On 8 Feb 2017, at 13:38, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> I've asked for a preference that would allow us to decouple TM's
> search fields from the Find Pasteboard, but this has been flatly
> refused.

Part of TextMate’s appeal is that it’s a real Cocoa app that works
correctly with the rest of the system, and not some cross-platform
Frankenstein.

And in my experience, the history in TextMate’s Find interface is very
good at restoring not only the text, but the options from previous
searches.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/

_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Persistance of search string over multiple programms

George McGinley Smith
Have to say I love this feature, find it so frustrating to not be able to do this in PHP Storm for example. CMD+E then CMD+TAB then CMD+G is hard wired in my brain…

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 at 17:41 Rob McBroom <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8 Feb 2017, at 13:38, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> I've asked for a preference that would allow us to decouple TM's
> search fields from the Find Pasteboard, but this has been flatly
> refused.

Part of TextMate’s appeal is that it’s a real Cocoa app that works
correctly with the rest of the system, and not some cross-platform
Frankenstein.

And in my experience, the history in TextMate’s Find interface is very
good at restoring not only the text, but the options from previous
searches.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/

_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate


_______________________________________________
textmate mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate