LaTeX bundle: Why emph instead of textit??

LaTeX bundle: Why emph instead of textit??

Christian Bogen
Hi,

why does the LaTeX bundle suddenly default to \emph instead of
\textit when I press command-i? This is a most unwelcome change as I
often use the scrartcl-class where \emph seems to be typeset as
underlined text instead of italic.

Any chance for a *different* shortcut for emph in the default LaTeX
bundle? I don't like messing around in the default bundles myself for
as far as I understand TM will create a "local" copy and I can no
longer easily benefit from updates in the default bundles … :(

Christian

Re: LaTeX bundle: Why emph instead of textit??

Steve Lianoglou-3
Hi,

> Any chance for a *different* shortcut for emph in the default LaTeX
> bundle? I don't like messing around in the default bundles myself
> for as far as I understand TM will create a "local" copy and I can
> no longer easily benefit from updates in the default bundles … :(

I actually believe that this is no longer the case. TextMate should
save your changes in local delta file which will let you alter the
bundle while still benefiting from updates in the default bundles.

There's some mention of that here:

http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2006/06/16/textmate-152/

I also feel like cmd-i has been \emph{} for a long time, but I guess
that's neither here nor there.

-steve

Re: LaTeX bundle: Why emph instead of textit??

Charilaos Skiadas
On Jan 14, 2007, at 5:36 AM, Christian Bogen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> why does the LaTeX bundle suddenly default to \emph instead of
> \textit when I press command-i? This is a most unwelcome change as
> I often use the scrartcl-class where \emph seems to be typeset as
> underlined text instead of italic.

There was a thread about this earlier, here is one of the messages
from it:
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/textmate/2006-September/013128.html
and later another thread on it:
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/textmate/2006-November/014750.html

In short, it has happened a relatively long time ago, and it happened
because most of us used \emph to emphasize text, which is what one
usually associates with italics. \emph is better for that purpose
since it will show something in roman if the surrounding is italic.
Of course YMMV, but all the people I asked at the moment agreed with
this change.

> Any chance for a *different* shortcut for emph in the default LaTeX
> bundle? I don't like messing around in the default bundles myself
> for as far as I understand TM will create a "local" copy and I can
> no longer easily benefit from updates in the default bundles … :(

First of all, this will create only a local copy of this particular
command, so you will get updates to all other commands both in the
LaTeX bundle and all other bundles.
Second, what is saved is a "delta" file. This basically means that
changing the shortcut for instance will allow you to still get
updates on the command text, and vice versa. Each individual part of
the command is separate so to speak.

Now the command under question is called "Italic". If you locate it,
you will see that it has one line:

toggle_style.rb -style=emph

So any changes to the command are likely to occur in the
toggle_style.rb ruby script, and so local modifications will not
really come up at all. So all you have to do is replace "emph" with
"textit" in the above line, and it is highly unlikely that you will
miss any significant updates.

> Christian

HTH,
Haris

Am 14.01.2007 um 18:30 schrieb Steve Lianoglou:

> I actually believe that this is no longer the case. TextMate should
> save your changes in local delta file which will let you alter the
> bundle while still benefiting from updates in the default bundles.

Thanks, that's good to know! :)

> I also feel like cmd-i has been \emph{} for a long time, but I
> guess that's neither here nor there.

Well, I'll have to take a closer look at the matter when I've got
more time at hand.

I'd clearly prefer \textit{} -- or at least the possibility to invoke
that via an alternate shortcut like Command-Shift-i (or something
similar) from the default bundle.

As I already found out, though, that the underline issue with \emph
happened due to the ulem package being loaded in the document's
preamble and had nothing to do with the srcartcl class ...

Chris

Am 14.01.2007 um 19:20 schrieb Charilaos Skiadas:

> In short, it has happened a relatively long time ago, and it
> happened because most of us used \emph to emphasize text, which is
> what one usually associates with italics. \emph is better for that
> purpose since it will show something in roman if the surrounding is
> italic. Of course YMMV, but all the people I asked at the moment
> agreed with this change.

Thanks! I will take a closer look at \emph -- maybe it is time to
change my habits, now that I know why earlier tests resulted in
underlined text ... ;)

Chris

Re: LaTeX bundle: Why emph instead of textit??

Jacob Rus-2
Christian Bogen wrote:
> why does the LaTeX bundle suddenly default to \emph instead of \textit
> when I press command-i? This is a most unwelcome change as I often use
> the scrartcl-class where \emph seems to be typeset as underlined text
> instead of italic.

Because most people prefer to use \emph.

> Any chance for a *different* shortcut for emph in the default LaTeX
> bundle? I don't like messing around in the default bundles myself for as
> far as I understand TM will create a "local" copy and I can no longer
> easily benefit from updates in the default bundles … :(

Don't worry, just make the changes.  Only the differences will be
stored, so when the built-in things are updated, everything should stay
working.  The way I would recommend to make this change so that it will
best avoid conflicts is:

  1. duplicate the command/snippet which does the \emph, and
     move it to  your own personal bundle.  Then change it to
     do \textit instead of \emph
  2. remove the keyboard shortcut on the original command.

Now the difference that will be stored in the LaTeX bundle is just to
turn off the keyboard shortcut, which should (hopefully) never run into
any conflicts.