How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

jgaltUSA
I am a newbie to textmate and I am trying to perform a find and replace. I want to replace the matched text with a sequential number.

Here is my current replacement string: $1##$2

How can I replace the ## with a sequential number?

For example, I want the first sequential number to be 16.

Here is a screen capture:

Thanks!

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

René Schwaiger
Hi jgaltUSA,

> On 20 Feb 2015, at 9:50 , jgaltUSA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am a newbie to textmate and I am trying to perform a find and replace. I want to replace the matched text with a sequential number.
>
> Here is my current replacement string: $1##$2
>
> How can I replace the ## with a sequential number?

I do not think that what you want is possible using only regular expressions and “Find & Replace”. It is possible and not to complex using a programming language. The following code does what you want:

    #!/usr/bin/env python

    from re import compile
    from sys import stdin, stdout

    regex = compile(
        """(<PortalOBj portalFlags="16" numbOfRows="1" initialRow=")\d+(">)""")
    index = 16

    def create_subtitute_function():
        def substitute(match):
            global index
            replacement = "{}{}{}".format(match.group(1), index, match.group(2))
            index += 1
            return replacement

        return substitute

    text = regex.sub(create_subtitute_function(), stdin.read())
    stdout.write(text)

I attached a bundle which contains a command that uses the above code. To install the bundle just double click it. You can apply the substitution on some text by pressing the key combination “^⌥⌘R”. Since the above is my code I would be careful when you use the command though :).

> For example, I want the first sequential number to be 16.
>
> Here is a screen capture:
>
> Thanks!

Kind regards,
  René

P.S.: You can create a screenshot of a single window by using the key combination “⇧⌘4”. After that just hit “Space” and a click on the window you would like to make a screenshot of. This way you do not need to crop the picture.

Subsitute.tmbundle.zip (3K) Download Attachment

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

Graham Heath
You can combine Multiple Carets and Copy + Paste to achieve this easily.

Find a list of the numbers you want to use, I assume you’re capable of generating the list in some way, but I like using the `seq` command in the terminal such as:

$ seq 16 32
16
17
[…snip...]
31
32

Note: It is important that they be separated by new line characters.

Copy this list.

Select your first placeholder: “##"

  <PortalOBj portalFlags="16" numbOfRows="1" initialRow=“##”>

Press Control + W, this selects the next placeholder. Repeat until your selection contains all of your placeholders.

Paste.

Graham P Heath

On February 20, 2015 at 8:29:30 AM, René Schwaiger ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi jgaltUSA,

> On 20 Feb 2015, at 9:50 , jgaltUSA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am a newbie to textmate and I am trying to perform a find and replace. I want to replace the matched text with a sequential number.
>
> Here is my current replacement string: $1##$2
>
> How can I replace the ## with a sequential number?

I do not think that what you want is possible using only regular expressions and “Find & Replace”. It is possible and not to complex using a programming language. The following code does what you want:

#!/usr/bin/env python

from re import compile
from sys import stdin, stdout

regex = compile(
"""(<PortalOBj portalFlags="16" numbOfRows="1" initialRow=")\d+(">)""")
index = 16

def create_subtitute_function():
def substitute(match):
global index
replacement = "{}{}{}".format(match.group(1), index, match.group(2))
index += 1
return replacement

return substitute

text = regex.sub(create_subtitute_function(), stdin.read())
stdout.write(text)

I attached a bundle which contains a command that uses the above code. To install the bundle just double click it. You can apply the substitution on some text by pressing the key combination “^⌥⌘R”. Since the above is my code I would be careful when you use the command though :).

> For example, I want the first sequential number to be 16.
>
> Here is a screen capture:
>
> Thanks!

Kind regards,
René

P.S.: You can create a screenshot of a single window by using the key combination “⇧⌘4”. After that just hit “Space” and a click on the window you would like to make a screenshot of. This way you do not need to crop the picture.

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

jgaltUSA
Re: [TxMt] Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace? Thanks Graham, that worked great but I am having one problem.  The first line of your formula gets placed into my first placeholder.

Example: <PortalObj portalFlags="16" numOfRows="1" initialRow=$ seq 16 32>

On 2/20/15 9:41 AM, "Graham P Heath" <graham.p.heath@...> wrote:

You can combine Multiple Carets and Copy + Paste to achieve this easily.

Find a list of the numbers you want to use, I assume you’re capable of generating the list in some way, but I like using the `seq` command in the terminal such as:

$ seq 16 32
16
17
[…snip...]
31
32

Note: It is important that they be separated by new line characters.

Copy this list.

Select your first placeholder: “##"

 <PortalOBj portalFlags="16" numbOfRows="1" initialRow=“##”>

Press Control + W, this selects the next placeholder. Repeat until your selection contains all of your placeholders.

Paste.

Graham P Heath

On February 20, 2015 at 8:29:30 AM, René Schwaiger (sanssecours@...) wrote:

Hi jgaltUSA,

> On 20 Feb 2015, at 9:50 , jgaltUSA <jgaltUSA@...> wrote:
>
> I am a newbie to textmate and I am trying to perform a find and replace. I want to replace the matched text with a sequential number.
>
> Here is my current replacement string: $1##$2
>
> How can I replace the ## with a sequential number?

I do not think that what you want is possible using only regular expressions and “Find & Replace”. It is possible and not to complex using a programming language. The following code does what you want:

    #!/usr/bin/env python

    from re import compile
    from sys import stdin, stdout

    regex = compile(
        """(<PortalOBj portalFlags="16" numbOfRows="1" initialRow=")\d+(">)""")
    index = 16

    def create_subtitute_function():
        def substitute(match):
            global index
            replacement = "{}{}{}".format(match.group(1), index, match.group(2))
            index += 1
            return replacement

        return substitute

    text = regex.sub(create_subtitute_function(), stdin.read())
    stdout.write(text)

I attached a bundle which contains a command that uses the above code. To install the bundle just double click it. You can apply the substitution on some text by pressing the key combination “^⌥⌘R”. Since the above is my code I would be careful when you use the command though :).

> For example, I want the first sequential number to be 16.
>
> Here is a screen capture:
>
> Thanks!

Kind regards,
  René

P.S.: You can create a screenshot of a single window by using the key combination “⇧⌘4”. After that just hit “Space” and a click on the window you would like to make a screenshot of. This way you do not need to crop the picture.

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

Graham Heath
Don’t copy that line. Just its results.

16
17
[…snip...]
31
32

Graham P Heath

On February 20, 2015 at 1:16:44 PM, jgalt ([hidden email]) wrote:

> [...]

    text = regex.sub(create_subtitute_function(), stdin.read())
    stdout.write(text)

I attached a bundle which contains a command that uses the above code. To install the bundle just double click it. You can apply the substitution on some text by pressing the key combination “^⌥⌘R”. Since the above is my code I would be careful when you use the command though :).

> For example, I want the first sequential number to be 16.
>
> Here is a screen capture:
>
> Thanks!

Kind regards,
  René

P.S.: You can create a screenshot of a single window by using the key combination “⇧⌘4”. After that just hit “Space” and a click on the window you would like to make a screenshot of. This way you do not need to crop the picture.

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

Thanks for taking the time to create the bundle for me René.

I have installed it but I am not 100% sure how to use it.

I have entered the shortcut key command “^⌥⌘R” and it appears to run but I
do not understand how to target the parts that I want to replace.

Here is a screen capture of my find and replace settings:
http://goo.gl/YBqYy9

Here is a zipped file of the file that I am trying to edit:
http://goo.gl/XOkDRh

I don't know if it matters...but the content that I am trying to edit is
from a FileMaker clipboard. I believe that it is in XML format. The items
that I am trying to edit are references to layout elements. (More
specifically, references to FileMaker Portals.)

Thanks again for your help!

On 2/20/15 8:26 AM, "René Schwaiger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi jgaltUSA,
>
>> On 20 Feb 2015, at 9:50 , jgaltUSA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am a newbie to textmate and I am trying to perform a find and replace. I
>> want to replace the matched text with a sequential number.
>>
>> Here is my current replacement string: $1##$2
>>
>> How can I replace the ## with a sequential number?
>
> I do not think that what you want is possible using only regular expressions
> and “Find & Replace”. It is possible and not to complex using a programming
> language. The following code does what you want:
>
>     #!/usr/bin/env python
>
>     from re import compile
>     from sys import stdin, stdout
>
>     regex = compile(
>         """(<PortalOBj portalFlags="16" numbOfRows="1"
> initialRow=")\d+(">)""")
>     index = 16
>
>     def create_subtitute_function():
>         def substitute(match):
>             global index
>             replacement = "{}{}{}".format(match.group(1), index,
> match.group(2))
>             index += 1
>             return replacement
>
>         return substitute
>
>     text = regex.sub(create_subtitute_function(), stdin.read())
>     stdout.write(text)
>
> I attached a bundle which contains a command that uses the above code. To
> install the bundle just double click it. You can apply the substitution on
> some text by pressing the key combination “^⌥⌘R”. Since the above is my code I
> would be careful when you use the command though :).
>
>> For example, I want the first sequential number to be 16.
>>
>> Here is a screen capture:
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Kind regards,
>   René
>
> P.S.: You can create a screenshot of a single window by using the key
> combination “⇧⌘4”. After that just hit “Space” and a click on the window you
> would like to make a screenshot of. This way you do not need to crop the
> picture.

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

jgaltUSA
Sorry, my previous example file was not formatted properly and it got
truncated. Here is a revised example file as XML: http://goo.gl/el0QMT

On 2/20/15 2:45 PM, "jgalt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to create the bundle for me René.
>
> I have installed it but I am not 100% sure how to use it.
>
> I have entered the shortcut key command “^⌥⌘R” and it appears to run but I
> do not understand how to target the parts that I want to replace.
>
> Here is a screen capture of my find and replace settings:
> http://goo.gl/YBqYy9
>
> Here is a zipped file of the file that I am trying to edit:
> http://goo.gl/XOkDRh
>
> I don't know if it matters...but the content that I am trying to edit is
> from a FileMaker clipboard. I believe that it is in XML format. The items
> that I am trying to edit are references to layout elements. (More
> specifically, references to FileMaker Portals.)
>
> Thanks again for your help!
>

> On 2/20/15 8:26 AM, "René Schwaiger" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi jgaltUSA,
>>
>>> On 20 Feb 2015, at 9:50 , jgaltUSA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am a newbie to textmate and I am trying to perform a find and replace. I
>>> want to replace the matched text with a sequential number.
>>>
>>> Here is my current replacement string: $1##$2
>>>
>>> How can I replace the ## with a sequential number?
>>
>> I do not think that what you want is possible using only regular expressions
>> and “Find & Replace”. It is possible and not to complex using a programming
>> language. The following code does what you want:
>>
>>     #!/usr/bin/env python
>>
>>     from re import compile
>>     from sys import stdin, stdout
>>
>>     regex = compile(
>>         """(<PortalOBj portalFlags="16" numbOfRows="1"
>> initialRow=")\d+(">)""")
>>     index = 16
>>
>>     def create_subtitute_function():
>>         def substitute(match):
>>             global index
>>             replacement = "{}{}{}".format(match.group(1), index,
>> match.group(2))
>>             index += 1
>>             return replacement
>>
>>         return substitute
>>
>>     text = regex.sub(create_subtitute_function(), stdin.read())
>>     stdout.write(text)
>>
>> I attached a bundle which contains a command that uses the above code. To
>> install the bundle just double click it. You can apply the substitution on
>> some text by pressing the key combination “^⌥⌘R”. Since the above is my code
>> would be careful when you use the command though :).
>>
>>> For example, I want the first sequential number to be 16.
>>>
>>> Here is a screen capture:
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>   René
>>
>> P.S.: You can create a screenshot of a single window by using the key
>> combination “⇧⌘4”. After that just hit “Space” and a click on the window you
>> would like to make a screenshot of. This way you do not need to crop the
>> picture.

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

jgaltUSA
What on earth am I doing wrong with my sample files? After I save them and
try to reopen them in TextMate they are blank...but if I open it in a
different text editor all of the content is still there.

On 2/20/15 2:57 PM, "jgalt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, my previous example file was not formatted properly and it got
> truncated. Here is a revised example file as XML: http://goo.gl/el0QMT
>

> On 2/20/15 2:45 PM, "jgalt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for taking the time to create the bundle for me René.
>>
>> I have installed it but I am not 100% sure how to use it.
>>
>> I have entered the shortcut key command “^⌥⌘R” and it appears to run but I
>> do not understand how to target the parts that I want to replace.
>>
>> Here is a screen capture of my find and replace settings:
>> http://goo.gl/YBqYy9
>>
>> Here is a zipped file of the file that I am trying to edit:
>> http://goo.gl/XOkDRh
>>
>> I don't know if it matters...but the content that I am trying to edit is
>> from a FileMaker clipboard. I believe that it is in XML format. The items
>> that I am trying to edit are references to layout elements. (More
>> specifically, references to FileMaker Portals.)
>>
>> Thanks again for your help!
>>

>> On 2/20/15 8:26 AM, "René Schwaiger" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi jgaltUSA,

>>> I do not think that what you want is possible using only regular expressions
>>> and “Find & Replace”. It is possible and not to complex using a programming
>>> language. The following code does what you want:
>>>
>>>     #!/usr/bin/env python
>>>
>>>     from re import compile
>>>     from sys import stdin, stdout
>>>
>>>     regex = compile(
>>>         """(<PortalOBj portalFlags="16" numbOfRows="1"
>>> initialRow=")\d+(">)""")
>>>     index = 16
>>>
>>>     def create_subtitute_function():
>>>         def substitute(match):
>>>             global index
>>>             replacement = "{}{}{}".format(match.group(1), index,
>>> match.group(2))
>>>             index += 1
>>>             return replacement
>>>
>>>         return substitute
>>>
>>>     text = regex.sub(create_subtitute_function(), stdin.read())
>>>     stdout.write(text)
>>>
>>> I attached a bundle which contains a command that uses the above code. To
>>> install the bundle just double click it. You can apply the substitution on
>>> some text by pressing the key combination “^⌥⌘R”. Since the above is my code
>>> would be careful when you use the command though :).

>>> Kind regards,
>>>   René
>>>
>>> P.S.: You can create a screenshot of a single window by using the key
>>> combination “⇧⌘4”. After that just hit “Space” and a click on the window you
>>> would like to make a screenshot of. This way you do not need to crop the
>>> picture.

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

jgaltUSA
Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace? Thank you very much. That worked.

Sorry, I missed the part about entering “$ seq 16 32” as a terminal command.

31
32

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

René Schwaiger

> On 20 Feb 2015, at 21:57 , jgalt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry, my previous example file was not formatted properly and it got
> truncated. Here is a revised example file as XML: http://goo.gl/el0QMT

Could it be that the first and second uploads are the same file? They have the same file size, modification date and md5 hash:

MD5 (jgalt_replacement_example.zip) = c25e2dad9e95a3ce2d00c26fda8f14f4
MD5 (jgalt_replacement_example_v2.zip) = c25e2dad9e95a3ce2d00c26fda8f14f4

> On 20 Feb 2015, at 21:45 , jgalt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for taking the time to create the bundle for me René.
>
> I have installed it but I am not 100% sure how to use it.
>
> I have entered the shortcut key command “^⌥⌘R” and it appears to run but I
> do not understand how to target the parts that I want to replace.

The command reads the current selection — if there is none, then it reads the whole file — and replaces every occurrence of the regex with the result of the first capture (`match.group(1)`), followed by a sequential number (`index`), and the result of the second capture (`match.group(2)`).

Which part are targeted depends on your selection and the regex. Since there were two minor mistakes in the regex it should not have replaced anything for you. To fix the regex:

1. Open the bundle editor `^⌥⌘B`
2. Go to Subsitute→Menu Actions→Subsitute
3. Replace

    """(<PortalOBj portalFlags="16" numbOfRows="1" initialRow=")\d+(">)"""

with the correct regex (`PortalObj` instead of `PortalOBj`, `numOfRows` instead of `numbOfRows`):

    """(<PortalObj portalFlags="16" numOfRows="1" initialRow=")\d+(">)"""

4. Save the changes `⌘S`

The zip you sent contained a screenshot of a file, where you wanted to replace the number 1-15 with the numbers 16-30. If you want to do that you can just replace the regex with the following:

    """(<PortalObj portalFlags="16" numOfRows="1" initialRow=")(?:[1-9]|1[0-5])(">)"""

It should not do anything on the file you sent though, since that contained `initialRow` numbers ranging from 31-45.

> Here is a screen capture of my find and replace settings:
> http://goo.gl/YBqYy9
>
> Here is a zipped file of the file that I am trying to edit:
> http://goo.gl/XOkDRh
>
> I don't know if it matters...but the content that I am trying to edit is
> from a FileMaker clipboard. I believe that it is in XML format. The items
> that I am trying to edit are references to layout elements. (More
> specifically, references to FileMaker Portals.)
>
> Thanks again for your help!

Kind regards,
  René

On 21 Feb 2015, at 7:10, jgalt wrote:

> What on earth am I doing wrong with my sample files? After I save them and
> try to reopen them in TextMate they are blank...but if I open it in a
> different text editor all of the content is still there.

Can you give (exact) steps to reproduce for this issue?

Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace?

jgaltUSA
Re: How can I add a sequencial number to this Find/Replace? I just opened the file that was giving me trouble and it opened normally. I am not sure what fixed the problem but it was either rebooting my computer or updating from an older beta to (2.0-beta.6.8).

To answer your question, the document appeared to blank when I opened it Textmate but when I opened it in a different text editor all of the content was still there. If it happens again I will make a screencast.

Thanks.

On 21 Feb 2015, at 7:10, jgalt wrote: > What on earth am I doing wrong with my sample files? After I save them and > try to reopen them in TextMate they are blank...but if I open it in a > different text editor all of the content is still there. Can you give (exact) steps to reproduce for this issue? _______________________________________________ textmate mailing list [hidden email] </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=28987&i=0> http://lists.macromates.com/listinfo/textmate

On 20 Feb 2015, at 22:41, Graham P Heath wrote:

> You can combine Multiple Carets and Copy + Paste to achieve this
> easily.
>
> Find a list of the numbers you want to use, I assume you’re capable
> of generating the list in some way, but I like using the `seq` command
> in the terminal such as: […]

In 2.0-beta.7 I streamlined this so that running `seq` via Filter
Through Commmand… behaves the same as pasting, bypassing the need to
go to a Terminal and copying the command output.