High CPU usage

feek
Hi,

I experience lately on a regular base a high CPU usage of TextMate (TextMate
version 2.0-rc.23, macOS 10.14.3 18D109). I did not install new plugins
(besides of regular updates TM-build in plugins). TM does not crash so I
cannot provide a crash log.

Could it be related to performing a search in a project folder with a large
number of files?

== feek

--
Sent from: http://textmate.1073791.n5.nabble.com/textmate-users-f3.html

Re: High CPU usage

feek
@mark

is there a way to do so?

== feek

--
Sent from: http://textmate.1073791.n5.nabble.com/textmate-users-f3.html

Re: High CPU usage

Jacob Carlborg
Change the language of the file to Plain Text.

On 19 Mar 2019, at 18:40, feek <[hidden email]> wrote:

@mark

is there a way to do so?

== feek

--
Sent from: http://textmate.1073791.n5.nabble.com/textmate-users-f3.html

/Jacob Carlborg

Re: High CPU usage

feek
@Jacob

the issue also occurs on 2.0-rc.22.

I use a git repository. Maybe it is related to scm bundle?

== feek

--
Sent from: http://textmate.1073791.n5.nabble.com/textmate-users-f3.html

Re: High CPU usage

feek
Marc Wilson wrote
> If you turn off syntax highlighting, does the problem go away? Just
> wondering.

After some thoughts, probably not, because after closing all files /
projects the CPU remains 100%.

== feek

--
Sent from: http://textmate.1073791.n5.nabble.com/textmate-users-f3.html

Re: High CPU usage

feek
Hi all,
Besides the high CPU usage sometimes, I run into strange, not reproducible
things, but occurs multiple times:

- some times multiple carets are visible, but on that moment I'am definitely
not in multi-caret mode!
- some times doing a multiple edit undo (cmd-z) a really strange undo is
performed, seems like a undo in a multi-caret mode, and removing
text(blocks) on strange locations. For this case again, I'am definitely not
in multi-caret mode!

Overall my feelings are that TM 2.0-rc.23 is not as stable as TM always
was...

--
Sent from: http://textmate.1073791.n5.nabble.com/textmate-users-f3.html

Re: High CPU usage

Allan Odgaard-4

On 8 Apr 2019, at 22:52, feek wrote:

- some times multiple carets are visible, but on that moment I'am definitely
not in multi-caret mode!
- some times doing a multiple edit undo (cmd-z) a really strange undo is
performed, seems like a undo in a multi-caret mode, and removing
text(blocks) on strange locations. For this case again, I'am definitely not
in multi-caret mode!

Overall my feelings are that TM 2.0-rc.23 is not as stable as TM always
was...

Have you found any pattern to the above?

I am not aware of any reports similar to yours, and the core editing functionality has not been touched for quite a while, so I don’t see how such bugs could have been introduced. To be honest, it almost sounds like you have a defective input device :)

Re: High CPU usage

Matt Neuburg
I had a similar incident and it turned out my shift key was sticking! m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 12! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920208662.do

On 27 Jun 2019, at 07:16, Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

To be honest, it almost sounds like you have a defective input device :)

I had a problem with my old MacBook (the white one in plastic). The battery had expanded and was pushing up on the mouse pad from below. It caused the cursor to jump around when typing. Of course, this occurred in all applications and not only TextMate. But I was mostly using TextMate.

--
/Jacob Carlborg

Re: High CPU usage

feek
Hi Ed,

I can confirm it is definitely related to ⌘-Z (undo) via keyboard. Mostly
multiple undo's.

I aso do not have a pattern. It happens... and when it happens only a full
quit of TM only works.

One thing for sure, the project folder make use of GIT bundle.

== Feek

On 19 Mar 2019, at 10:18, feek wrote:

I experience lately on a regular base a high CPU usage of TextMate (TextMate
version 2.0-rc.23, macOS 10.14.3 18D109). I did not install new plugins
(besides of regular updates TM-build in plugins). TM does not crash so I
cannot provide a crash log.

One explanation might be the size of your clipboard history.

I ran into this myself, I had copied 500 MB to the clipboard and that was a bit of a challenge for the underlying CoreData code used to update the clipboard history on disk, so shortly after each action that caused the clipboard history to be updated, there would be a beachball for approximately one second.

The fix is to open the history viewer (Edit → Paste → Show History) and then click “Clear History”.

Though I do consider this an issue that should be fixed, as the size of the clipboard history should not affect performance.