Compare text files based on words, not lines?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Compare text files based on words, not lines?

Christoph Held
Hello all
I am new to Textmate and this list but so far really impressed by the
program and the people posting here. My background is in molecular
biology and I will mostly use TM for text (MultiMarkdown is appealing
to me) not so much code.

Although I am slowly making my way through the manual I have not found
anything that would allow me to compare two textfiles and highlight
changes between them. "Diff" is not what I am loooking for because it
is based on lines. Writing manuscripts I don't use carriage returns so
a single difference in a paragraph will highlight the whole thing not
just the difference only.
FileMerge (in the Apple developer tools) is much closer and also
visually intuitive, but getting long in the teeth and having
difficulties with UTF-8.

Is there a Textmate bundle that will do this kind of comparison for me?

My sincere apologies if this question has been answered already,

Christoph

______________________________________________________________________
For new threads USE THIS: [hidden email]
(threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)
http://lists.macromates.com/mailman/listinfo/textmate
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Compare text files based on words, not lines?

Charley Tiggs-2
Christoph,

I'm sad to say that, for that kind of comparison, I turn to either
BBEdit or TextWrangler from Barebones Software:

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/download.shtml

TextWrangler is free and does what you're looking for very nicely
without having to come up with a script or command to do it.

Charley

Christoph Prion wrote:

> Hello all
> I am new to Textmate and this list but so far really impressed by the
> program and the people posting here. My background is in molecular
> biology and I will mostly use TM for text (MultiMarkdown is appealing
> to me) not so much code.
>
> Although I am slowly making my way through the manual I have not found
> anything that would allow me to compare two textfiles and highlight
> changes between them. "Diff" is not what I am loooking for because it
> is based on lines. Writing manuscripts I don't use carriage returns so
> a single difference in a paragraph will highlight the whole thing not
> just the difference only.
> FileMerge (in the Apple developer tools) is much closer and also
> visually intuitive, but getting long in the teeth and having
> difficulties with UTF-8.
>
> Is there a Textmate bundle that will do this kind of comparison for me?
>
> My sincere apologies if this question has been answered already,
>
> Christoph
>
> ______________________________________________________________________
> For new threads USE THIS: [hidden email]
> (threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)
> http://lists.macromates.com/mailman/listinfo/textmate
>


______________________________________________________________________
For new threads USE THIS: [hidden email]
(threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)
http://lists.macromates.com/mailman/listinfo/textmate
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Compare text files based on words, not lines?

James Gray-7
On Jan 16, 2007, at 8:03 AM, Charley Tiggs wrote:

> TextWrangler is free and does what you're looking for very nicely  
> without having to come up with a script or command to do it.

I'm sure we could come up with a script, with a little effort.

In trying to see what you were after, I opened TM, types lorem tab,  
and saved a file.  I then changed one word and saved a second file.  
I went into FileMerge and compared the two.  In those results I  
couldn't even figure out how to see all the text I wrote (needed a  
horizontal scroller).  What am I missing?

If you can show an example of what you are after, odds are good that  
it can be done.

James Edward Gray II

______________________________________________________________________
For new threads USE THIS: [hidden email]
(threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)
http://lists.macromates.com/mailman/listinfo/textmate
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Compare text files based on words, not lines?

Dave Baldwin

On 16 Jan 2007, at 14:42, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2007, at 8:03 AM, Charley Tiggs wrote:
>
>> TextWrangler is free and does what you're looking for very nicely  
>> without having to come up with a script or command to do it.
>
> I'm sure we could come up with a script, with a little effort.
>
> In trying to see what you were after, I opened TM, types lorem tab,  
> and saved a file.  I then changed one word and saved a second  
> file.  I went into FileMerge and compared the two.  In those  
> results I couldn't even figure out how to see all the text I wrote  
> (needed a horizontal scroller).  What am I missing?

In preferences tick show wraped text.

Dave.

>
> If you can show an example of what you are after, odds are good  
> that it can be done.
>
> James Edward Gray II
>
> ______________________________________________________________________
> For new threads USE THIS: [hidden email]
> (threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)
> http://lists.macromates.com/mailman/listinfo/textmate


______________________________________________________________________
For new threads USE THIS: [hidden email]
(threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)
http://lists.macromates.com/mailman/listinfo/textmate
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Compare text files based on words, not lines?

James Gray-7
On Jan 16, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Dave Baldwin wrote:

>
> On 16 Jan 2007, at 14:42, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>
>> On Jan 16, 2007, at 8:03 AM, Charley Tiggs wrote:
>>
>>> TextWrangler is free and does what you're looking for very nicely  
>>> without having to come up with a script or command to do it.
>>
>> I'm sure we could come up with a script, with a little effort.
>>
>> In trying to see what you were after, I opened TM, types lorem  
>> tab, and saved a file.  I then changed one word and saved a second  
>> file.  I went into FileMerge and compared the two.  In those  
>> results I couldn't even figure out how to see all the text I wrote  
>> (needed a horizontal scroller).  What am I missing?
>
> In preferences tick show wraped text.

Ah, gotcha.

Would we prefer that, or how some wikis do it, placing the old term  
just before the new term and crossing it out?

James Edward Gray II

______________________________________________________________________
For new threads USE THIS: [hidden email]
(threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)
http://lists.macromates.com/mailman/listinfo/textmate
Loading...