Cmd+T Enter is slow since RC1

Jonathan Monahan
Hi,
Congratulations on reaching the significant milestone of RC1 on Textmate2. Unfortunately a bug has crept in in this release.

In the attached video, I press Cmd+T followed by Enter to switch between the current and previous files.  The first time, I wait for the list to appear before pressing Enter, and it works as expected.  The 2nd, 3rd and 4th times I quickly press Cmd+T followed by Enter before the list appears – the dialog closes but the previous file is not loaded.  On the 5th time, I wait before pressing Enter again, and it works.

Clearly the problem is probably caused by the number of files.  Prior to RC1, the list appeared instantaneously, but additional files filled in the list later.  Is it possible to go back to that behaviour which has worked well for many years?

Regards,
Jonathan Monahan

Video.MOV (638K) Download Attachment

Re: Cmd+T Enter is slow since RC1

Allan Odgaard-4
On 18 Nov 2016, at 20:59, Jonathan Monahan wrote:

> Clearly the problem is probably caused by the number of files.  Prior
> to RC1, the list appeared instantaneously, but additional files filled
> in the list later.  Is it possible to go back to that behaviour which
> has worked well for many years?

Try holding option and select TextMate → Check for Test Builds.

In rc.3 the main thread is stalled until the list has updated with the
currently open files, which was indirectly the case prior to rc.1, so
rc.1 actually should load files slightly faster than before, but because
there was no stalling of main thread, it was possible to press return
before the main thread had updated the table with the open files.

Re: Cmd+T Enter is slow since RC1

Ralf Baumbach
Hi,

I’m seeing the same problem. With rc.3 the loading of the list content is better, but there is another behavior that starts driving me crazy: When the window opens and the list loads, it will jump back to the top of the list whenever the list gets updated. So opening the list, start scrolling quickly to the file a little further down the list, want to select, and then often, almost always, the list gets updated and the window jumps back to the top. I just see this problem in the latest releases, but that might be due to the fact that I have a lot more files in my project right now (already excluded some, but the number is still around 9000).

best regards,
Ralf

> Am 18.11.2016 um 15:12 schrieb Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 18 Nov 2016, at 20:59, Jonathan Monahan wrote:
>
>> Clearly the problem is probably caused by the number of files.  Prior to RC1, the list appeared instantaneously, but additional files filled in the list later.  Is it possible to go back to that behaviour which has worked well for many years?
>
> Try holding option and select TextMate → Check for Test Builds.
>
> In rc.3 the main thread is stalled until the list has updated with the currently open files, which was indirectly the case prior to rc.1, so rc.1 actually should load files slightly faster than before, but because there was no stalling of main thread, it was possible to press return before the main thread had updated the table with the open files.

Web-Entwickler
Konzeption und Entwicklung von Web-Applikationen

On 18 Nov 2016, at 21:45, Ralf Baumbach wrote:

I’m seeing the same problem. With rc.3 the loading of the list content is better, but there is another behavior that starts driving me crazy […]

Just to be sure, you are not seeing the ⌘T + ↩ issue with rc.3, but you are seeing another issue (that the selected row is scrolled into the visible view each time the list refreshes), correct?

I’ll try to get the scroll issue sorted out for rc.4.

Re: Cmd+T Enter is slow since RC1

Ralf Baumbach
yes, confirmed, the enter issue is fixed on my side with rc.3
The scroll issues is a different problem, that I have noticed for a while, at least since rc.1, just didn’t come around reporting.

On 18 Nov 2016, at 22:13, Ralf Baumbach wrote:

The scroll issues is a different problem, that I have noticed for a while, at least since rc.1, just didn’t come around reporting.

I don’t think this has ever worked as you expect.

I introduced a disableFilterListAutoScroll which you can set to YES in rc.4.

I did not make this the default behavior because we generally do want to scroll the selected item into view once the list is updated (at least when the update is caused by the user changing the filter string).

Currently there is no way for the code to know what caused the update.

Also, with your workflow, where you scroll before the list has been fully loaded, you could overlook new items appearing above the visible part of the list.

Re: Cmd+T Enter is slow since RC1

Ralf Baumbach
Yes, the usage is dependent on the workflow. I think I see this problem now more often because my computer gets older and the file list is really huge

Just to give a little bit more context: I often find myself working in parallel in a few different files, e.g. up to 10 that I have to edit during a single feature implementation. Now when I use the CMD-T file listing  I don’t necessarily enter any search string, but I glance at the list and identify the file that I’m looking for by it’s name. So in that case I would actually expect that the file order has been cached somewhere and the top results should be determined by my edit history.
If I enter a search text, then I fully understand that the list has to update.

But what I see right now is that the compilation of the file list takes long enough, so that updates in the file list happen (which creates the scroll issue that I was describing) even if I don’t enter any search term.

Does that make sense?

I’ll try my luck with disableFilterListAutoScroll.

> Am 18.11.2016 um 17:15 schrieb Allan Odgaard <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 18 Nov 2016, at 22:13, Ralf Baumbach wrote:
>

> The scroll issues is a different problem, that I have noticed for a while, at least since rc.1, just didn’t come around reporting.
>
> I don’t think this has ever worked as you expect.
>
> I introduced a disableFilterListAutoScroll which you can set to YES in rc.4.
>
> I did not make this the default behavior because we generally do want to scroll the selected item into view once the list is updated (at least when the update is caused by the user changing the filter string).
>
> Currently there is no way for the code to know what caused the update.
>
> Also, with your workflow, where you scroll before the list has been fully loaded, you could overlook new items appearing above the visible part of the list.

Web-Entwickler
Konzeption und Entwicklung von Web-Applikationen

Re: Cmd+T Enter is slow since RC1

Greg-110
I haven’t been using this command. But tried it with RC3 and I stopped looking at 30k files. Is it looking at my entire drive. The files are beyond scope that I have open, they might be in scope of folders I’ve opened. Ah, I now guess I see what’s going on. I Cmd-T on an untitled, unsaved file. Guess this is an unintended consequence.

OT: I’m surprised to see in this modern era, question marks in place of apostrophes, and things like "seeing the ?T + ? issue with.” In case this gets munged on the way, in Mail on my up to date Mac this has a question mark in front of the T and another question mark following the plus sign.

Greg

On 19 Nov 2016, at 22:48, Greg wrote:

> I haven’t been using this command. But tried it with RC3 and I
> stopped looking at 30k files. Is it looking at my entire drive. The
> files are beyond scope that I have open, they might be in scope of
> folders I’ve opened. Ah, I now guess I see what’s going on. I
> Cmd-T on an untitled, unsaved file. Guess this is an unintended
> consequence.

It shows all files from the “project folder” which defaults to your
home folder (for untitled standalone documents). You can however change
the default in Preferences → Projects.

I wouldn’t really call it unintended, but the feature may seem
somewhat useless for untitled standalone documents.

> OT: I’m surprised to see in this modern era, question marks in place
> of apostrophes, and things like "seeing the ?T + ? issue with.” In
> case this gets munged on the way, in Mail on my up to date Mac this
> has a question mark in front of the T and another question mark
> following the plus sign.

I am not sure where you see this, it does not appear broken in any of
the mails that made it to the mailing list.

Re: Cmd+T Enter is slow since RC1

Jonathan Monahan
Hi Allan
    Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, RC4 fixes the problem. Thank you very much.

Cheers,
    Jonathan.