Can Textmate do RTF files?

general_salt
I use Textmate for coding, and TextEdit (OS X) for taking notes.  I use TextEdit because I can make text bold, underline etc...

I wish TextEdit had a tabbed interface for multiple documents like TextMate does.  When I open any RTF files in TextMate (created with TextEdit) there are a bunch of weird characters everywhere..totally unreadable.

Are there any plugins, extensions, whatever...to either allow TextMate to read formatted RTF files or maybe do some basic word processing duties? (Like Word, or Text Edit).