Best Practices: Running TextMate v1.5 and v2 Together?

Best Practices: Running TextMate v1.5 and v2 Together?

bobrocke
What are the best practices for managing bundles and preferences when running TextMate 1.5 and 2 together?

Where should bundles used by both version go?
Bundles specific to one or the other?
Preferences?
Other watch-outs?

Bob

Re: Best Practices: Running TextMate v1.5 and v2 Together?

Allan Odgaard-4
On Feb 13, 2013, at 23:16, bobrocke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What are the best practices for managing bundles and preferences when running
> TextMate 1.5 and 2 together?

They use separate locations and you should just leave it at that.

2.0 can read 1.x bundles but have a few new things, so you wouldn’t want 1.x reading 2.0 bundles.

Re: Best Practices: Running TextMate v1.5 and v2 Together?

bobrocke
So how do I keep TextMate 2 from loading bundles out of ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate and restrict itself to ~/Library/Application Support/Avian?

Bob

On Feb 17, 2013, at 5:44 AM, bobrocke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So how do I keep TextMate 2 from loading bundles out of ~/Library/Application
> Support/TextMate and restrict itself to ~/Library/Application Support/Avian?

TM 2 doesn’t read your 1.x bundles. Are you having a specific problem here?

Re: Best Practices: Running TextMate v1.5 and v2 Together?

bobrocke
Maybe not a problem so much as confusion. :)

TM2 seems to use/create some things in the ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate folder, but not others. The same with TM1.

It appears that TM2 creates a Cache folder and a Managed folder. The Managed folder has bundles in it that I assume are copied out of the TM2 application at first launch.

So TM1 does not use any of those bundles and TM2 uses no bundles from ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles nor ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Pristine Copy?

TM2's uses bundles from ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Managed and /Users/Bob/Library/Application Support/Avian/Bundles and /Users/Bob/Library/Application Support/Avian/Pristine Copy?

Bob

On Feb 17, 2013, at 1:45 PM, bobrocke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It appears that TM2 creates a Cache folder and a Managed folder. The Managed
> folder has bundles in it that I assume are copied out of the TM2 application
> at first launch.

The Managed folder is for bundles managed via Preferences → Bundles. The Cache folder is an index of installed bundles. There are also other folders new in 2.0 like Session which is your current session — none of these are used by TM 1.x.

> TM2's uses bundles from ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Managed and
> /Users/Bob/Library/Application Support/Avian/Bundles and
> /Users/Bob/Library/Application Support/Avian/Pristine Copy?

Yes, it reads from the Avian support folder so that 2.0 bundles can be installed there, and users can still run 1.x without issues. When 2.0 is out of alpha (or possibly beta) then we will probably discontinue support for Avian and have everything under TextMate, as people then shouldn’t run 1.x anymore, and we don’t care about allowing the two to run in parallel with separate set of bundles.

Re: Best Practices: Running TextMate v1.5 and v2 Together?

bobrocke
So, if I have this right, these are TM2's Application Support folders:

Application Support/Avian/Bundles
     Diff files for bundles kept in Application Support/TextMate/Managed but edited in TM2 go here
Application Support/Avian/Pristine Copy/Bundles
     Bundles specifically for TM2, or to override shipped-with bundles, go here
Application Support/TextMate/Cache
Application Support/TextMate/Favorites
Application Support/TextMate/Managed
     All the TM2 shipped-with bundles are kept here
Application Support/TextMate/Pristine Copy
     What goes in here???
Application Support/TextMate/Session

That suggests TM1 and TM2 share/interfere at:

I assume that no harm is done at those points?

On Feb 17, 2013, at 9:23 PM, bobrocke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> […] Application Support/Avian/Bundles
>     Diff files for bundles kept in Application Support/TextMate/Managed but
> edited in TM2 go here

All edits go there — it doesn’t matter if you edit an existing bundle or create a new one.

If however you edit an existing bundle it will create delta files, so if you wish to send pull requests you should first clone the bundle to this location.

> Application Support/Avian/Pristine Copy/Bundles
>     Bundles specifically for TM2, or to override shipped-with bundles, go
> here

This is third-party bundles you install via double-click (or dragging to TM). They are not auto-updated, hence outside the Managed folder.

If you edit these bundles the changes go to the first (non-pristine copy) folder (as delta files). This should allow you to manually update such bundles and keep your local changes intact.

> Application Support/TextMate/Cache
> Application Support/TextMate/Favorites
> Application Support/TextMate/Managed
>     All the TM2 shipped-with bundles are kept here
> Application Support/TextMate/Pristine Copy
>     What goes in here???

This is where 1.x installs double-clicked bundles.

> That suggests TM1 and TM2 share/interfere at:
>
> Application Support/TextMate/Cache
> Application Support/TextMate/Favorites
>
> I assume that no harm is done at those points?

TM 1.x does not support favorites nor does it use the same indexing (so it doesn’t use Cache).